Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I have a document from the wasa EIA
I'm haveing difficulty with the document, i can't figure out how to copy and paste it here. Its not word, seems to be a picture file.
The subdivision is in the area designated for the buffer zone. The buffer zone is for odours, desease transmission and tertiary treatment.
Its under 4.4.1 Establishment of Buffer Zones.
an amazeing document. I'll try to get it transcribed and post the whole thing. This subdivision is on top of the zone designated to buffer disease from the community.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
Thank you Brandon C, but I was referring to what happens here in San Pedro. Raw sewage is undeniably created here, but if it doesn't go to the sewage farm (my words, but seemingly correct) then what happens to it? If it undergoes some form of treatment and then goes to the sewage farm, what is that treatment and where is it performed?

This is purely based on Phil's statement that what is in the WASA "pond" is not raw sewage. Doesn't seem to fit with Elbert's last post.....

Its not raw sewage.Its called a sewage treatment plant and this is the pond its put in after it leaves the plant , still very nasty stuff with out any doubt , that why all the restrictions are put on being around it.
It was designed to be filtered and back into the environment through the pond and buffer zone. the EIA says mangroves played a part in the buffering . ...but they where cut to put in the subdivision.
I'm from Tennessee and when a large amount of bad things happen in one package like this development and its secret deals,permissions with a wink and covert permits we called it a goat [#%!] !

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
Just having a quick look on the Internet. 300 to 500 feet of buffer zone to inhabited dwellings seems to be the norm.

The EIA says 300meters
This area is part of the sewage treatment project and should remain that way. The damage to its buffer zone (the mangroves and the drain/canal they cut into it) should be repaired.

Last edited by elbert; 03/12/10 03:16 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
This goes beyond the normal bend/break the rules as much as possible to make a quick buck. Public health is directly involved here and the relevant government department should be involved.

Back on sewage, where is the raw sewage treated to the state it apparently arrives at the WASA pond? It has to be treated somewhere.....

from the google photo, at the end of the pipe their appears to be a plant on the road south.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
Yes, but I've never noticed a smell coming from that building. Most sewage processing plants emit some smell. But I think you must be right - I can't think where else.

There is nothing wrong with Wasa. Its a good operation and I doubt if it has a smell.
This is from the original assessment before the subdivision was made;
4.4. OPERATION OF SEWAGE LAGOON
4.4.1. Establishment of Buffer Zones
Buffer zones around the sewage lagoon are required for three reasons- odors, disease transmission, and tertiary treatment-and an additional buffer is required between the coast and any area of cleared mangroves. A buffer is required between the lagoon and any inhabited area to control odors and transmittal of disease by insects or birds. A buffer of 300m has been established for this purpose, and this distance will also be maintained from the terminal building at the proposed new airport. Figure 1 shows this buffer extending from the lagoon to the south, east and northeast.
Because the 'polishing' of sewage effluent requires the continued growth of mangroves and functioning of ecological processes within the mangrove wetland, the area of mangroves that will receive and treat the effluent from the sewage lagoon must remain in its natural state for that purpose.

It goes on but you get the point.
if you look back at the photo at the beginning of the thread you can see what happened to the mangrove buffer zone.

White Sands Dive Shop
B
B
What happens when they need to increase capacity to take care of all the new subdivisions they are going to put on line? Isn't the current system at capacity?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.