Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Authorities in the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment and Hol Chan Marine Reserve are investigating a report involving a vessel that ran aground the reef over the weekend. The San Pedro Sun understands that the incident occurred late on Saturday, May 31st near the Basil Jones Area of Ambergris Caye.

According to the Manager of Hol Chan Marine Reserve Miguel Alamilla, a red and white, 32 foot sailboat, reportedly captained at the time by the general manager of a resort located to the extreme north of the island, was attempting to enter the inner reef through a channel in the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve area when it missed the channel and landed on the reef. Initial information gathered indicates that with the assistance of other vessels in the area the vessel was dragged off the reef that same night. Alamilla went on to explain that while a ranger from Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve responded to the scene, the incident was not reported to the relevant authorities.

The Sun understands that the damage to the immediate area was extensive but Alamilla explained that the authorities are conducting their investigation and are evaluating the damage which will decipher the cost of damage. Alamilla stated that they will also investigate why the ranger failed to report the incident to his superior as is protocol. As for the name of the vessel, authorities say that they know the name and the owner of the vessel and they will be contacting the owner during the course of the investigation.

San Pedro Sun

Seems even local knowledge is no protection from hitting coral in the minefield that is the inner reef. Hard to believe that no accurate charts have ever been made. If the government is going to fine, which is appropriate, it is also incumbent upon them to provide the info to prevent the transgressions, which are accidents after all.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
The Basil Jones cut is a difficult one to navigate - you have to come in abeam to the seas and time it just right.

Yep.

Diane, you are an experienced captain here. What are your thoughts on the need for charts? Obviously local knowledge doesn't prevent these accidents, and the situation is worse for newcomers.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Har Har !

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert
Har Har !

Well said. I assume you refer to your knowledge precluding ever having something like this happen to you, right?

Elbert saw me learn to drive a boat way back when. Hence the Har.

My experience tells me to stay inside the reef, and to leave difficult navigation to local fishermen. I've run a couple of cuts, but only with a flat calm sea and an expert leading the way. If you can see what is under the water it's not too bad, but by about 3 pm the glare of sun on water is such that you really have no idea what's there.

I assume that charts would be very useful for larger boats and professional captains - I haven't a clue how to read one.

Of the three recent incidences of boats damaging the reef, I can't see where charts would have made a difference. One had it's mooring line come loose, one lost power and control from ropes caught in it's props and the latest appears to have misjudged entering the cut. It is not difficult to see where the cuts are, it is difficult at times to control your entry due to the wind and wave action.

Besides, if the GOB is able to collect these obscene fines it will solve it's money problems. frown

My nautical boasts are that I've sunk more than any one else.
Diane can laugh at me there.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Dive with the boat that dives with you ......was that the Manta?

My sunk boats have all been tied to the pier the the time of said sinking. Of course since I studied macrame in great detail at one time, the said boats were well-tied.

I fondly remember all the fun we had wondering what scrapes the fabulous "........" would get into next with his lovely catamaran. Oh the public fascination listening to the wreck on the reef on the Pier Lounge radio. (If you don't know the name of said cat captain, you haven't been around long enough and you have missed a wild time or two.)

The base station at the Pier Lounge was better than Louella Parsons at her most imaginative.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 370 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.