Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone. My name is Brian. I'm new to the forum.

This may be a ridiculous question given that you will be responding to me from your computer on Ambergris Caye...

However, I am interested to know how reliable Internet access is on the island, can you get high speed internet, and is access already wired and available in most of the rental properties in and around San Pedro?

I am planning a move to the island this coming March. I would like to find a 6 month, fully furnished apartment with a high speed Internet connection, as I run an Internet-based business.

Any feed back you can offer is greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Brian

S
S
High speed is in the eye of the user. I pay more now than what I was paying for 1Mb in year 2000 in Canada at 1/4 the speed.

P
P
It isn't available in all buildings but can usually be installed. Check well beforehand if it is already there, then if it isn't ask BTL if they can install it.

Installation will cost, and the monthly charge for the service received will be monstrous. And don't plan on using VoIP.

S
S
No charge for installation. BTL charges BZ$110 for 256K...which usually clocks at 300- 350K. Very reliable.

P
P
No installation charge now? They used to.

B
B
Sent you a PM, Brian.

The access is fine for email and browsing, but they block vpn's and voip and I've had trouble using Remote Desktop too. So depending what you need, your mileage will vary.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks to all of you for your replies. The cost doesn't really concern me that much (thanks to Jesse for the ball park figures)- it's high, but manageable. I would just hate to come down there only to find that I can't run my business effectively due to horrendous service and extremely slow speeds.

Sounds like this all varies.

Worth the risk to move down to my favorite place on the planet while attempting to keep my Internet business alive and well with potential limitations in access speeds? This is mostly a question for me, but please do respond if you like.

Surely service may improve over the coming months?

Thanks again,

Brian

B
OP Offline
B
Hi Belizeandme,

I never received your PM. At least I don't know yet where to view it. Would you mind replying to this email with whatever info you wanted to share.

Thanks so much.

Brian

P
P
Originally Posted by brianwalker
Surely service may improve over the coming months?

Absolutely not. BTL's policy is to suppress and block any competition, and as they have a dei facto monopoly (a real one over the infrastructure) that is easy for them. They have shown that they don't mind degrading the service overall if it means they can block one more loophole. So expect the service to get worse, not better.

The way to overcome all this is to install a satellite dish. Not cheap, but bypasses BTL completely. Until they manage to extend their monopoly to include ALL internet usage, as they have already tried to do.

There is an alternative to using BTL's internet service. A competing service is provided by Coral Cable Vision, who also provide all television coverage. But that only competes as far as an electronic bottleneck owned by BTL, and it's after that point that BTL apply all their jiggery-pokery. So The Coral Cable service is just as affected by BTL's blocking policy.

If you need to use a particular VPN, as a number of people working here for major US or Canadian institutions do, make sure that you'll be able to access it. I know three people who had been living and working here who were obliged to leave when BTL cut off access to their VPNs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.