Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Lobster season officially opens today after being closed from the 15th of February to the 14th of June. Love News spoke to Fisheries officer in Fisheries Department, Mauro Gongora.

Mauro Gongora, Fisheries Officer
"The laws that govern the lobster fishery is that we have a minimum carcass length of 3 inches and we have a minimum tail weight of 4 ounces, and we have another law which says that no fisherman should have in his possession fillet or tied lobster tail meat. Last year we had just under 420,000 pounds of lobster tail, produced most of this is exported to the United States. We have an ongoing educational program throughout the primary schools, particularly in the coastal communities, but we also work very closely with the Fishing cooperatives. At the Fishing Cooperative we would have posters saying what are the laws and regulations for the lobster fisheries. There is a fine of $500.00 for the offence for violating the Fisheries Law . In terms of having undersized lobster, there is a minimum fine of anything between $20.00 to $30.00 per lobster tail. That is, of course, left to the discretion of the magistrate in court."

Gongora says that the price of lobster os significantly lower than it was a few years ago, and for this reason he urges the fishing community to help ensure that this fishery is sustainable.

LoveFM

-----------------

[Linked Image]

Lobster Season officially opened today with fishermen heading out as early as possible to catch the most lobster on the first day. But the rainy day definitely posed a problem for the fishermen, making the waters murky and decreasing visibility, and making the lobsters run away for shelter. We checked at the fishing co-operative and the official count was very low - only about 150lbs was recorded at the end of the day. At only $16 per pound for lobster tails at the co-operative, fishermen are looking elsewhere to get top dollar for the prized lobster tails. Some resorts are shelling out about $25 per pound of lobster tail.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ambergris Today

JZB Offline
Lobster quantities are certainly decreasing every year to the point that it is getting very hard to buy lobster half way through the season. People are often buying lobsters straight from fisherman that are usually undersized. Fisheries needs to take a hard look at this and realize they need to decrease the number of exported tails so that lobster can be readily available in country first. This I imagine would decrease poaching. Plus, wouldn't they get more $$ per pound sold retail?

Just my two cents.

P
P
I've heard it suggested that if unlimited catches are dei facto again permitted this season it may all be over for future years.

My two cents is that we should have one or two years of no conch and no lobster and let these once abundant groups recover.
I know that a lot of restaurants will find this a harsh suggestion but it's better than running out forever, no?

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
My two cents is that we should have one or two years of no conch and no lobster and let these once abundant groups recover.
I know that a lot of restaurants will find this a harsh suggestion but it's better than running out forever, no?

I think the fishermen would find it even harsher.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Someone also suggested (forget who) that the season should be started later to allow for more time.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Lobster Season is Here!

Lobster Season officially opened on Monday, June 15, with fishermen heading out as early as possible to catch the most lobster on the first day. But the rainy day definitely posed a problem for the fishermen, making the waters murky and decreasing visibility, and making the lobsters run away for shelter.

We checked at the fishing co-operative and the official count was very low - only 192lbs was recorded at the end of the first day of the season, (compared to 1,388lbs caught last year). At only $14 per pound for lobster tails at the co-operative, fishermen are looking elsewhere to get top dollar for the prized lobster tails. Some resorts are shelling out about $25 per pound of lobster tail.

Mr. George Kumul, manager of the Caribe�a Co-operative also mentioned that not only is the San Pedro Co-op reporting low stats on lobster, but the Placencia Co-op was also doing bad as the co-operatives were given orders to lower the buying price from $16 to $14 per pound.

But the low numbers at the fishing co-operatives do not seem to indicate a low lobster catch this early in the season. Fishermen are reporting large numbers, but they are opting to sell their catch directly to resorts, restaurants and private homes. So tourists and locals will still be able to enjoy a variety of delicious lobster dishes cooked in all restaurants, or at home, instead of only the select few restaurants which are provided with licenses to serve lobster throughout the year.

And remember to attend the Lobster Fest Block Party on Saturday, June 20th starting at 5:00 p.m. and a Beach Party Lobster BBQ at the Catamaran Beach Bar at Caribbean Villas Resort.

Ambergris Today

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.