P
Who does it belong to?

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Peter Jones] #342645
06/26/09 08:54 PM
06/26/09 08:54 PM
buena vista, sanpedro town
natalie p Offline
natalie p  Offline
The people that own the property next door to them to the south.

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: natalie p] #342647
06/26/09 08:55 PM
06/26/09 08:55 PM
P
Peter Jones Offline
Peter Jones  Offline
P
Yes I realise that - that's where the hole is - but who is it?

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Peter Jones] #342965
06/29/09 09:01 PM
06/29/09 09:01 PM
B
Belizeandme Offline
Belizeandme  Offline
B
Does no one know who owns the property and is paying for the hole to be filled in and therefore responsible for the potential damage it is going to cause for other owners in the area?

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Belizeandme] #342977
06/30/09 06:34 AM
06/30/09 06:34 AM
RathaBnBelize Offline
RathaBnBelize  Offline
Someone is paying for it to be filled in and someone wants to also blame them for potential damage?

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: RathaBnBelize] #342978
06/30/09 07:48 AM
06/30/09 07:48 AM
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
P
Pmaillet Offline
Pmaillet  Offline
P
In reference to the comments made about just filling in the hole with out draining it: This approach could and most likely would result in soil stability issues. There would be no compaction of the fill material, a "slop" hole would be create. This could cause an even greater hazard that just leaving it as an open water hole. Draining the water prior to backfilling is the right approach.

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Pmaillet] #342984
06/30/09 08:53 AM
06/30/09 08:53 AM
P
Peter Jones Offline
Peter Jones  Offline
P
With all due respect I don't agree. The solid material will displace the water. Where did the water come from? It's almost certainly ground water, fresh or brackish, because the hole extends below the water table, so water will drain into the hole while it's being pumped out. And draining it is indeed likely to have a deleterious effect on any surrounding territories with wells.

My bigger concern is where the solid matter that used to fill the hole has gone to. That and the visible partial collapse of land between the hole and the sea.

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Peter Jones] #343032
06/30/09 01:42 PM
06/30/09 01:42 PM
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
P
Pmaillet Offline
Pmaillet  Offline
P
Filling with rock would displace the water, filling with any small grain sized material (sand, clay, etc) will result in a slop hole if the water is not drained. These materials would hold to much water and just dumping them in a water hole would seriously affect the integrity of these materials. I don't know what the plans are for the fill. I'm 100% with you if they are filling it with rock, if there using rock as fill then no point in draining the water.

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Pmaillet] #343045
06/30/09 04:07 PM
06/30/09 04:07 PM
G
Gridguy Offline
Gridguy  Offline
G
I looked at it on 6/24, no sign of pumping, trenches or anything except a nice fence around the hole and an ongoing fence at the road. Sounds like they are moving fast!!!

The subsidence is apparent and actually made me a little uneasy! My wife looked in, looked at the dip heading towards the ocean and said "lets get away from this" smile

Pumping seems like a lost cause, big rocks bring future problems, small rocks float and "soil" (read sand) will probably go in there forever! Picture the blue hole... on a smaller scale.

Assuming it is part of the water table, whoever is worried about the impact of backfilling to the wells should take a look at the pea soup we are calling water in the new cenote. That stuff looks like more of a contaminate than rocks and sand....

Re: 30ft. sinkhole appears North of Ambergris Caye [Re: Gridguy] #343052
06/30/09 04:54 PM
06/30/09 04:54 PM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
That peasoup is just fresh water with limestone froth. If it was left alone it would probably settle down become much clearer.

I don't imagine pumping would work for long since the water level is at the water table.

Filling it in with contaminants will probably force whatever is in the fill into the underground water supply that feeds more than just that area.

When we dig our wells by hand the water initially looks just like the water in the sinkhole.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 185 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,356
Posts488,094
Members19,872
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.