Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
B
yep. didn't refresh and see your response before i posted mine. ;-)

P
OP Offline
P
I had the opposite experience in court once. I declined to answer a leading question, let's adopt that term, and the opposing counsel asked the judge to direct me to answer "yes" or "no" as I had been ordered. I addressed the judge directly and said that I could not answer so to such a question, and the judge directed me to answer in my own words. When later the opposing counsel (and I mean Counsel, not barrister - the person was a QC) asked another loaded question with the same stipulation that I answer "yes" or "no" I hesitated and looked at the judge, who immediately told me to answer in my own words and directed the QC to stop phrasing questions like that.

I have never been called a "hostile witness" so I don't know how I'd react, but my general stance in court would always be to use unambiguous language and resist an attempt to force me to do otherwise. "In extremis" I would refuse to answer at all. My brother did this once when he was an Expert Witness in a major criminal trial, and had been ordered by the judge to answer an improper question. The end result (some other things got in the way as well) was that a mis-trial was called, and we believe the judge was reprimanded (though of course we're never told such things).

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First
Is there an echo in here?

--Lan Sluder

No - shows that great minds think alike!

Peter, It just came to me that the word you may be looking for is "sophistry" or "sophist."

A sophist, originally someone who was very learned, has come to mean a person who just uses clever language or rhetoric, and sophistry is specious arguments or questions that are meant to sound learned but in fact are deceiving.

--Lan Sluder

Good one Lan. I guess you have witnessed a few 'hostels' in your travels. LOL

M
M
Look up "complex question" and "pre-suppositional question". The grammatical name may depend on your source.

A complex question is a fallacy in which the answer to a given question presupposes a prior answer to a prior question.

A pre-suppositional question implies more information than the person being questioned is willing to affirm.

a "compound question"?

seems to be the answer....not an attorney but,what i had read about this, seems to be..i don't think the ? had to do with what one is willing to affirm, but the fact that the question eludes to guilt whether u answer yes or no....you have stopped or you are still doing it! just a thought!

I think I've got it!!! It's formally known as a "bullshit" question, right?

D
D

Good one.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.