Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#345534 07/19/09 11:39 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Has anyone else found that over the past few weeks especially the Digicell phone service has become abysmal? Dropped calls, calls which never connect, calls which appear to the caller to be unanswered but which never actually ring? It's almost constant now, by far the worst I've ever experienced my whole time here. I'm told they "have some problems", but are these signs the result? Several people I know have changed to Smart which apparently now works much better. My own experience with Smart when they first came out was that they were markedly worse than Digicell, and I haven't tried them since.

S
S
Complete crap service lately, took 21 tries to get a call through on Friday morning.

L
L
Error messages, the line sounds busy but the BTL message says the caller has the phone off, crackle on the line.......yup 2-3 weeks now.

B
B
Maybe all the power spikes, brown outs, and power outages have done in their equipment. The other thing that seems to happen is that when someone you are calling does not answer, rather than switching to leaving a message, it simply says the number is not listed. Curious.

I've had a Smart phone for over a year and have not had any problems with the service.

Reality..What a concept!
S
S
They were unloading a pile of Nortel equipment at BTL yesterday maybe improvements are on the way (or not).

SimonB #345561 07/19/09 06:18 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I bought four Smart phones for staff when they first came out and loaded them with credits. A few weeks later every one of them simply died and Smart refused to replace them or give me the credit back. That was a very costly experiment, which is why I've never used them since,

Is it possible to get a Smart phone that uses a SIM card, or are they all integrated?

not had much trouble with digicell lately though I do not use my phone a lot.

correction on that not much trouble making calls but when I get one phone cuts in and out

Last edited by tacogirl; 07/22/09 12:19 PM.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

P
OP Offline
P
Took me 9 or 10 tries to get connected to another Digicell phone this evening. Strong signal shown on my phone and apparently on the one at the other end, but the network wouldn't connect.

On Smart, I'm sure I heard some time ago that there were some phones that did use a SIM card. Does anyone here have a Smart phone with a SIM card?

Smart works! why bother with BTL anymore... They even (for areas where there are no landlines) offer fixed base cells and 128 kbps modems for internet, much better than the 2 kbps over BTL fixed cells or the 10kbps over their microwave telephone lines. In the end a working line is better than a line that goes dead for over a week at the time, and that is what it has been for about forever with them! Smart's cellphone rates are lower and they have a better coverage, what do you want more?

PS, Peter, just checked, no sim card, but who cares, it works! My Smart phones don't just die (unless I drop one of them in the sea), I had them for more than a year.

Last edited by Short; 07/22/09 01:32 AM. Reason: Added ps

Live and let live
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.