Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#345516 07/19/09 08:49 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Ask anyone who lives in Belize City, or any other municipality, for that matter, about something that their neighbour does which really drives them crazy and you could get a thousand complaints on every block. Whether it’s loud music, a business that gobbles up all the neighbourhood parking, late night partying, an un-kempt yard, or even noxious fumes from a standby generator – these are the things that everyone has to live with and find a way to cope or do our next best. But San Pedrana Celi Greif says, not her. She lives in the heart of San Pedro Town right beside the biggest supermarket in town. And now that supermarket is putting a generator just a few feet form her window. And what makes her different is that she says she’s going to challenge her neighbour using the law or even retaliatory force if necessary. Here’s her story.

Keith Swift Reporting,
Celi Grief’s grief is about this Caterpillar brand generator. It sits at the rear of the newly rebuilt Wing’s Department Store in San Pedro. Celi Grief lives at the back of the building – which puts her in the front of the generator. She says it is too close to her home for comfort.

Celi Grief, Unhappy with generator
“He is installing a generator that is going to be very noisy. It causes environmental problems. Maybe the gentleman has started and has gotten permission from the committee but what he is doing is obviously wrong. The noise is not going to be acceptable and he has other options of putting his generator on top of the roof to reduce the noise and that is my main concern.”

Celi Grief says that the generator will cause noise pollution. Now that is understandable except that you have to consider that she lives near the airstrip and she is not complaining about the noise from that.

Celi Grief,
“I’ve lived in this area, my father’s building has been here about 36 years maybe.”

Keith Swift,
“And apart from the planes it is a normally quiet area?”

Celi Grief,
“Well yes apart from the airplanes and the usual noise the problem is that this is just recently being put.”

Keith Swift,
“It is going to be noise but we live around noise.”

Celi Grief,
“Well they are going to use it only when there is no electricity so you’re already going to be hot and then there is going to be the noise from it and this is diesel, the pollution and the noise is going to bounce from one wall to the next wall and it is just not acceptable. I think that the gentleman could easily put it up on top.”

A manager at Wing’s told us off camera that the generator is enclosed and won’t cause noise or air pollution. But more than the store says and Celi Grief concedes that the project has gotten the green light from the island’s building authority.

Celi Grief,
“This one is just being put in. This gentleman, we here in Belize are complacent people, we don’t, we allow people to do things to us until its too late but that doesn’t mean that because I waited I don’t have the right. As a human being I have the right to defend my way of living. I was here before he was. It is not something that I moved into, it is something that he is erecting right now today as we speak.”

There is one further complaint about the building’s proximity to the home of Francisca Graniel.

Celi Grief,
“We have apartments in front of us, we have apartments to the side, we have Belizean Reef – we have a community here and we don’t need more noise than we already have.”

Channel 7

I am going to put my money on CJ.

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
Yep!

Who is CJ?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
All I know is that I cursed that generator when I had to wait 20 minutes in the blazing sun to pull my golf cart into BC's last month, while they were trying to hoist it into place!! mad I suppose I could have parked behind the Palms and walked, but then I would not have had a reason to chime in on this thread!! Go, CJ!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
S
S
CJ Greif: Her father founded Tropic Air and her mother owns and operates Holiday Hotel

If CJ's on the case i be we get a new 'Noise' Law.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
If they want to power the neighbors in blackouts, I bet everone won't complain. Of course that is self interest for us since we are staying at Belizean Reef!!!!!! smile

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
K
K
"...we allow people to do things to us until it's too late.." prophetic

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Originally Posted by skippy
Who is CJ?

Celi Jean

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.