Next Thread
Print Thread
#345604 07/20/09 10:04 AM
E
Ernie_P Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi All,

We will be having a pretty large and expensive wedding in Belize next March and where concerned about everything that can go wrong with a wedding. Here in the U.S. they sell something called "Wedding or Event Insurance" - to cover anything that can go wrong from cancellation of weather, performer or vendor issues to damages from the event - I know we worry too much here in the U.S. :-)

Unfortunately that insurance doesn't cover events ourside the U.S. - can someone recommend a local insurance broker that might be able to assist...

Hopefully no hurricanes to cancel the event and no palm trees catch fire with the end of night fireworks show... :-)

Thanks to all as always for the help...
Ernesto

Life promises only opportunities!
check with the people that are conducting the wedding for you.
but this is unlikely

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
If you are concerned about such things, perhaps you would be better off having the wedding in the US.

If you have a wedding in Belize, things will go wrong, and not-according-to-plan. I guarantee it. You have to be able to go with the flow to some degree.

When my wife and I were married in San Pedro, there was a hurricane sitting off the coast and most of the people who would have serviced the wedding left the island for protection. In fact, when we were waiting in line at the international airport to go through security for our Maya flight, we ran into a honeymoon couple that were leaving. They told us that they were evacuating the north end of the island. My wife looked at me and I said, there is nothing keeping me from the island. Hurricane or no hurricane, we're getting married.

We had rain for a good part of most days while we were there, the cake lady left and we had to use a third or forth backup (which was not at all good btw), our preferred reception location had been evacuated and closed, etc.

Luckily I was marrying a very go-with-the-flow type woman and my guests all fed off our no-problem energy. We had a terrific time and an amazing experience that we'll take with us to the grave.

Rarely does everything go according to plan in Belize (or elsewhere for that matter), but if you can't roll with the flow, then Belize in particular might not be for you.

Ernie, March really isn't hurricane season so you likely wouldn't encounter what deadserious did. Maybe you can research a plan b backup. What does your wedding planner say?

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Gela #345613 07/20/09 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Gela
Ernie, March really isn't hurricane season so you likely wouldn't encounter what deadserious did.

Mine was just an example of what we encountered. The problems he will face in march will likely have nothing to do with hurricanes, but things will not go according to plan. When you have a country full of go-with-the-flow type people who operate on their own time schedules, it's bound to happen. And if you are the type of person who worries about insuring an event so that it goes according to plan, then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

I don't believe you can buy insurance like that here, but I do understand your concerns.
We just wound up a week of wedding activities - including outdoor ceremony and reception. 7 days before the wedding it was horrible weather, on wedding day it was perfect (whew).

A few suggestions that should make you a bit more relaxed --- first, hire a wedding planner and communicate often with them. Make an excellent plan well in advance. Then play devil's advocate and think of the major things that could derail the event, and at least know what would be a reasonable back-up plan.
As with anything, the more people, the more that can go wrong - and the more elaborate the event the more that can go wrong --- the best insurance of all is to keep it simple. Our family could not manage the "simple" part so we hired Iraida and prayed a lot.
Family of Bride and Groom stayed at Caye Villas, and we used the gardens/grounds for the wedding and reception. It was stunning. It also gave a private central gathering spot for everybody during the week of arrivals and preparation.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Our family could not manage the "simple" part so we hired Iraida and prayed a lot.

Iraida was our planner as well. She is terrific and is highly recommended.

I dunno about wedding insurance, but I do know there is no such thing as marriage insurance!! crazy

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
I would guess you could get travel insurance that would cover a lot of it for yourselves. Then advise all your guests to get insurance too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.