Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Kendal Bridge was swept away by powerful flash floods following the passage of Arthur in 2008. And just about every time there has been a downpour, the Sittee River rises above the temporary causeway at the Kendal crossing on the Southern Highway. But don't hold your breath because on Wednesday, Minister of Works, Anthony Boots Martinez said it would take at least a year before the new one is built.

Anthony "Boots" Martinez, Minister of Works
"The Kendal Bridge should commence early January 2010, based on procedural things that we have to do in regards to access the loan. So that in itself is a process."

Jose Sanchez
"Okay, how much funds are we looking at for the bridge?"

Anthony "Boots" Martinez
"We would look at I think it's about BZ$10 million for Kendal and $5 million - no, about $20 million if I am not mistaken � for ???. I think the loan package for both bridges is US$15 million. So it's about BZ$30 million."

Jose Sanchez
"So at what point next year should they be completed?"

Anthony "Boots" Martinez
"No, that will take 16 months to complete. When it starts, it will take 16 months to complete, so that will be completed in 2011."

Jose Sanchez
"So in the meantime, the residents in the area, commuters just have to - what do they do in the meantime?"

Anthony "Boots" Martinez
"We have the low level bridge there. That is functional throughout the year. The only hitch you will have with that is only when there is massive flooding, the waiting time to cross is between 24 to 36 hours."

Channel 5

Truly amazing that a little bridge over a minor river takes over three years to permanently replace, leaving the bottom one-third of the country cut off from the rest of Belize for days or weeks at a time.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
T
T
Sure, the sardonic might opine that three years is just about enough time for the efficient distribution of fifteen million bucks. Think about it, splitting it up between graft, patronage, nepotism, cronyism and kickbacks, there might not be much left for embezzlement (and the inferior structure they'll have to produce *eventually).

S
S
Originally Posted by Texican
Sure, the sardonic might opine that three years is just about enough time for the efficient distribution of fifteen million bucks. Think about it, splitting it up between graft, patronage, nepotism, cronyism and kickbacks, there might not be much left for embezzlement (and the inferior structure they'll have to produce *eventually).

You seem to know a lot more than the journalists in Belize! You should write an expose and name names! We can't find this kind of information here. You are a miracle man!

T
T
"Journalists in Belize"
I dunno, jesse, I'm not even in Belize, but *you might start with "Boots".

S
S
And how is Boots involved with the Kendall Bridge??????
Easy for you to sit in North America and throw your filth and slander at people here in Belize that you don't even know or know anything about. I'm sure that you have already solved all the problems in your home state, county, city..whatever and so now need a new target.
Or do you just get satisfaction from making cheap shots at Belize?

T
T
Um, this thread began with Boots' interview with a Belizean "journalist"

S
S
So that interview justifies your accusations of graft, patronage, nepotism, cronyism kickbacks and embezzlement. Amazing!

T
T
Oh, wait!
I didn't understand that you had taken offense.
Absolutely, we have more than our share of abuses.
Really, I think you misunderstand, I'm sure you do as you categorize my flippant comments as filth and slander.
Really, dewd, I'm sorry.
I appologize, and if you're really offended, I'll try and delete my post.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.