Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#34933 02/16/01 09:28 PM
deb1022 Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband and myself are coming to AC April 1. We want to snorkle Shark Ray Alley for sure and were interested in seeing rainforests. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have read alot about HolChan sounds nice but want to be sure. We are staying at Caribbean Villas, does anyone know how this place is. Curious, excited, CAN'T WAIT.

#34934 02/17/01 09:33 AM
P
P
HI my girlfriend and I were there from Jan16-25 with another couple what a time we had!We went to Hol chan/shark ray and it was fantastic we took great underwater shots there, my email is [email protected] if you would like to see some of em would be glad to send em.I heard mexico rocks was good also but we didnt make that 1.we used Searious Adventures for the tour.For your rainforest adventure if you are staying on the island there are some day tours to there we didnt have the funds to do Lamani but heard that 1 has great wildlife and other things we did Altun ha liked it any way.
Have fun and BELIZE IT!!

#34935 02/17/01 09:48 AM
T
T
My husband and I just returned from AC... we stayed at Captain Morgan's 01/29 - 02/08 and loved it there... it's slightly more isolated than being south of town but that's what I was after. During a short tour one evening south of San Pedro, if I remember correctly, we stopped in at the Carribean Villas for drinks. It was a quick visit but the place and location seemed nice... great view like all the beachside resorts... and the staff we ran into were also really friendly. But I think you could say that about almost everyone you meet from the island. Maybe if you lived on AC you you'd have another impression but, as a guest on the island, everywhere I looked easygoing happiness... laughter seemed to abound. It was so refreshing and relaxing... gives one a renewed lease on optimism.

Absolutely do Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley... it's mezmerizing. I'm a novice snorkler but even the more experienced were impressed. Just be careful about the length of time you expose your backside if you do this early in your trip... there's so much to see and sometimes touch that you tend to forget how long you've been drifting there gawking and (you probably already know this but) the intensity of the sun is magnified x40 in the water... Tshirts and waterproof SPF45 sunscreen might keep you comfortable. The dive master absolutely insisted on the sunscreen for our group before we hit the water. He and our guide looked after us extremely well.

Just a word about the hurricaine damage... in case you're wondering... the damage is still visible and can cause some, what I considered (as a guest), minor inconveniences but AC is such a wonderful place I stopped noticing such things and instead saw a people working very hard to pull everything back together, intent on making it better than it was before. I'd never been to AC before and after hearing stories from people who weathered out the storm on the island I am impressed with their progress. In fact, even knowing beforehand that AC and Caye Calker were harder hit than other areas of Belize, I decided spending my tourist dollars there was at least one way to help support their recovery efforts. I was not disappointed. The atmosphere of the place more than made up for any inconveniences we encountered. It's all in how you view a situation, I think, and from what I experienced on AC, these people have it all over North Americans with respect to their view of life.

Sorry to be so longwinded... but I can't say enough wonderful things about AC. I will be back and for much, much longer next time!

#34936 02/17/01 11:34 AM
M
M
Hi we just returned from AC. This was our third time staying at Car. villas. They are just great and have some of the nicest grounds that are walking distance to town. Be sure and got to Hol Chan and Sheark ray with Alphonse he is the best! If you like to fish make sure and do a full day with Ramon or Severo with shore lunch. It is a nice day because you can snorkel or do whatever you want while you are out with them. El Patio is right by you and they are a pretty good dinner place, we went a number of times. I also think it is worthwhile to get a cart and go north for a drive past the cut, they say do not go past La Palapa but we drive up to where the road turns back towards the beach and follow that along the beach until it ends and then it is a short walk to Capricorns for a lunch and drink, it is a nice calm day trip that is fun. You are staying at a great place with awesome staff so do what they reccomend and yoou will have a blast! Have fun We already want to go back!

#34937 02/17/01 05:01 PM
K
K
Caribbean Villas is very nice, I think you will really enjoy it.

Karen Pasquariello
#34938 02/18/01 11:50 PM
deb1022 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everybody who replied.

I'm interested in Lamanai or Xunantunich.
We are limited for time. Which one is closer, how long does it take to get there and how DO you get there. The best way?? Still need some feedback on rainforests which one to see. Thanks again. I don't want to get down there and try to figure all this out. I want to relax but want to see some sights. Thanks again.

#34939 02/19/01 03:44 AM
R
R
Do Ramon/Servo Guerrero pick up at Journeys End?....appears they are everyone's first choice???? Thanks

#34940 02/19/01 05:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ralph, JE has its own dive shop. steve, who runs it is terrific. i snorkeled with him, and my husband did 9 dives in 7 days. he really is good. i watched him certify a few people while i was there. very attentive. give them a try, they go out every morning and every afternoon. his wife is very sweet and his son, eugene, is adorable.

#34941 02/19/01 10:38 PM
K
K
Lamanai and Xunantunich are different, both nice, depends on what you are looking for. Are you doing the ruins from the island or from the mainland. To do Xunantunich from the mainland you would have to fly to municipal, then take a road trip out west into the Cayo district. There is a hand drawn ferry that takes you across the river and you go up into the jungle area to see the ruins. Lamanai is done by boat from Ambergris, I think you would probably see more wildlife and you would probably see monkeys, maybe even some crocodile. Lamanai is gorgeous in that you walk through the jungle to the different sites. I think it runs about $125 per person, Xunantunich would probably be more because of the round trip air. This is if you are going from Ambergris, if you are visiting the ruins from the mainland, of course cost would change dramatically. If you want more details, feel free to email me at [email protected] I use to have a tour operation in Belize so quite familiar with what is available.

Karen Pasquariello
#34942 02/20/01 09:06 PM
deb1022 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Karen
I'm interested in seeing the rainforest with the possibility of animals, that would be great. Also at least one ruin but I don't won't to take the whole day is that possible. I'm not interested in doing too much hiking I am on vacation. From what I have been reading it sounds like alot of travel for one day everything seems so spead out. Last night I read about Rio on Pools, Victoria Falls, Hidden Valley Falls. So much to do and so little time. Do you know anything about Alta Ha? This as you can see will be our first time down and want to make the best choices while we are there. Thanks for willing to help. Next time I'll e-mail you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.