Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello Everyone,

Can someone explain how an expat from the USA who moves to Belize is able to qualify for the universal health coverage that is available in Belize? Do you just have to become a resident of Belize(Live in Belize 1 yr) and that qualifies you? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CaptainX

I don't know about any universal coverage, but health care costs are very inexpensive compared to the US.

Regarding insurance, a quick search turned up the following thread:

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/262191/1.html

there isnt anything like 'universal health care' in belize. depending on where you are going, there isnt any healthcare at all. Overall, the basic medical care is VERY reasonable, and quite good. I've had friends who have had many medical incidents (clutsy, unhealthy group of young people i guess!) and in at least two cases, young people (30's) would have died without the amazing private health care in Belize City.

It is private, but the cost of it is so reasonable compared to what you are used to.

having said that, i do carry major medical insurance which includes medivacing me out of here if i need it. While the doctors i've dealth with (stayed overnight twice to stay with friends who were VERY VERY sick) are AMAZING, caring and very qualified, i wouldnt want to be treated for open heart surgery, brain surgery, or have a limb reattached here. If i needed any kind of reconstructive plastic surgery, i woudlnt have that here either.

i'm generally alone in the feelign on the health insurance. But i've broken 8 bones (seperate incidents), i've had a car accident in which i was "scalped" (skin tore off my face from middle of eyelids up to mid scalp), and had more surgeries for dumb shit than i can tell ya....so statistically, i believe "it can happen to me" as opposed to 'it cant happen to me'.

I use BUPA. i strongly recommend it....so much so, i get downright cranky about it! smile

S
S

Wow, Lara, did all that happen to you in Belize? Or did you go to BZE to escape that sh*t?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I agree with Laura on BUPA. Get it.

Absolutely---make it a priority. BUPA or any other good health insurance which includes medical air evacuation should be top of your list if moving here.

T
T
Great information Lara ! We recommend the same major health insurance ?

C
C
We have property in the Placencia area and last year my DH had a case of pneumonia that was treated by a very good doctor in the clinic there. It was free, but they ask for "donations" (which we gladly gave). The anitbiotic we got there too was free.

SS...fortunately all my ailments were in the US, my friends, however, were here.

here, though, i've had every damn type of skin infection. I get downright cranky about cuts and things here...

my friend almost lost her leg when she scaped it on a dock. She's 40, and has been shooting herself with insulin since she was 8. The infection very very nearly cost her her leg (one of the times i spend night in hospital in Belize city). The docs were AMAZING...but again, she had no insurance for it, and although it was a small cut to the normal person, they had to wait and wait to get it under control before she could get to canada to get the special treatment. SHe had to stay in hospital for over a week because of the risk of further infection, especially here on the island.

had she had insurance, she could have been flown out.

GET INSURANCE!!! ESPECIALLY if you have children, how can you NOT afford it? Its not that much money in the scheme of things...make a budget and make it a priority. If you cant afford $1000 a year to make sure you dont die from something totally preventable.....

climbin' off soap box now smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.