Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#350146 09/03/09 09:08 AM
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My new TV has had a color change for no apparant reason. Yesterday, for a time I had 1/2 of my house with power, then it went out completely. When it came back on my telly had bands of pink and green running acrossed the screen. I cannot change it, so it seems.
My last TV blew out with a power surge, now is my new one ruined as well, along with the new compressor I just put in a refridgerator unit?

Take it to a TV repair person, get receipts,and a note from the repair person as to what the damage was and what may have caused it, then go to BEL and file an application for refund of repair costs or replacement of TV if it is not repairable. Who knows, you may get a compensation. I did!

You should all have UPSes for the important electronics in your houses. They stop surges and give limited power to enable you to turn them off without loosing data and the like.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you for that info, I will give that a try for the compressor. Eddie Halliday has always been my go-to guy for my A/C and fridges, and he put a new compressor in a 96" prep table 3 months ago after an outage, and now it is gone again.
But get this....
I just turned the tv off and unplugged it for 15 minutes. I turned it back on and the color is back perfect again. I was worried I would have to get used to faces looking like Martians and pink skylines, but it seems to have reset it's self.

P
P
Is it a conventional CRT TV rather than a new style Plasma LCD. If conventional, without getting too technical the light beams in a TV are controlled by elecrto magnets. During a power surge the voltage in the magnets can change messing up the colours, usually at the corners. Modern CRT TVs have a reset called a DeGauss that corrects this again when you turn on the TV, which is probably what happened once the power stabilised. Same effect happens if you put a Magnet ie unsheiled speaker, too close to a TV.

Last edited by Phil; 09/03/09 09:52 AM.
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
It is just a Magnavox, the 350$ variety. I leave my TV on 24/7 for background noise and light. My electrical bill has dropped 50$ a month since I replaced the old tv though. Doesn't seem possible, but it is true.

G
G
Cool subject line!

The TV may be trying to come out of the closet. Be nice.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
Even better for your TV and fridge protection is a "Hurricaine power" box. It not only protects from surges but from low power as well. And cheaper than a UPS. We bought several for our house in Belize City from Venus Electronics.

T
T
Have the electric company remove your meter and check contacts ground ect. They will do that for free,if you tell them 1/2 the electric went out, or lights are blinking. That is a real bad sign, have it checked, before you have a fire! I know we have brown outs but if you lose power on one side of the service that is a warning sign we look for as electricians. They will come out today,if it is not your meter it could be your e. box or even the transformer(not likely).Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.