Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#349934 09/01/09 04:57 PM
OP Offline
The Belize Tourism Industry Association, mindful that crime bears a negative impact on doing business in tourism, continues to advocate for initiatives that seek to combat crime.

In light of this, BTIA national is commencing a series of destination meetings to discuss the state of crime in the areas with a view to present recommendations for fighting crime in the locales.

The first in a series of such meetings will be in San Pedro for Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. The meeting is slated for Friday, September 4, 2009 at Sun Breeze Hotel at 3:00p.m to discuss crime in Caye Caulker and 5:00 to discuss crime in San Pedro.

Recognizing the seriousness of our concerns, on hand we expect: the CEO Ministry of National Security; the Commissioner of Police; the Head of TPU Unit; the Director of Tourism or Director Product Development; the CEO or representative of Min of Tourism; and the NICH representative for Park or Attraction security.

Please come and voice your concerns.

Thank you
Julie Babcock, San Pedro BTIA chair

B
B
Is crime on the island really that hard to figure out? Do there really need to be more meetings that lead nowhere? Haven't there already been meetings ad nauseum in which the issue was discussed? Much like the Town Board's war on litter, the war against crime appears to be an empty promise. There was an armed robbery in which two innocent men were shot last night. What ever happened to the grand plans in which the police were going to monitor who came onto the island? There have been a number of Neighborhood watches put into place but they can only do so much, especially against armed assailants. Unless and until the GOB and the San Pedro Town Board are willing to commit serious resources to the issue, the problem will continue leaving the good people of San Pedro in fear for their life and possessions.

The Crime Level in San Pedro is alarming high.
We really need more BDF and Police Patrol during
the night. Beachbumin is right, we had useless meetings before.
Belize City is the crime hub and as long as we get jobless crime tourist for the mainland, we will have a problem here.

We also urgent need forensics to secure fingerprints
and bullets, otherwise there will never be a trail against
this very brutal and primitive robbers.

The police and the BDF DO patrol at night. I know because I go out on patrols also in the capacity of special constable and jp (which means I have the powers of a magistrate to sign search and arrest warrants.)

The Police department, the Town council, the Coast Guard and BDF are very committed to alleviating crime and bringing criminals to justice. Indeed there may a story here and there where someone has an incident that may not have been handled well in their opinion - but when everybody is sleeping I KNOW that there are many people out there patroling, doing their best to keep the peace and deter the criminals.

The town council and business associations are giving much in terms of resources (including financial assistance) the GOB could give more, I would love to see that happening - but as with all governments, the wheels move slowly and having public meetings in one of the GOB's sources of information. If you blow these meetings off the GOB thinks that there is just an odd ball here and there making complaints - because if the public really cared they would make the effort to attend meetings.

Yes I get defensive about this subject - because I work on it practicaly every day and night of the week. I and my family dedicate many hours to working on security and crime issues and we are physically and financially committed to minimizing the problems. It takes a lot of time, energy, effort and dedication to keep the ball rolling.

A little support is always welcomed and appreciated.

T
T
And, you probably can't have enough powerful, defensive special constables_

Right . . and so . . can one of you guys get my purse back? I don't care about the $20 or the phone numbers that were on papers in the wallet part, but geez louise, I did love that Derek Alexander purse/wallet.

I've just purchased another . . sure hope the committee will save it from being taken from me. :^)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I am unsure if this is the place to post this question and if needs to be moved then please move it. I want to know what I have to do get a permit for a firearm on Ambergris Caye? I am not sure I want to actually get one but I would like know that i could if I wanted to. I am an official resident though not a citizen. How does one go about doing this. I know several people have told me that it is possible. Any, information appreciated.

Captain One Iron
S
S
Can't remember where but the application is online on one of the government sites. Then you need to get your police record which will take several weeks and then you submit your application. They have heavily restricted permits in the last year or so you will need to provide a very good reason as to why you need one.

The need for these crime meetings sounds like a good reason. frown

T
T
Anyone wishing to help Neighborhood watch "San Pablo Area" is asked to please see me at the meeting.We need to continue to work together to reduce the crime problem.It wont go away by complaining,however;you would be in the right forum!
If you care-you will be there. Friday 5p.m.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.