Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35216 02/25/01 12:52 PM
R
OP Offline
R
We just returned from AC and 15 glorious days. Here is a thumbnail of places.

Banana Beach-Fantastic, great service, a value

La Patio Restaurant-Consistently good food

Woody's Wharf Restaurant-Great food and people

Elvi's Kitchen-Overpriced and overrated..has slipped badly.

Estels-Great Bloody Mary's and Conch Fritters

Cholos Bar and Cart Rental-Great local hangout on the beach and reliable carts that can also be arranged for rental through Banana Beach.

Abby, the hairbraider-Ask for her...does great work, has fine family. A real nice person.

Squirrels Nest Beach Bar...great, good cuban cigars, fine servers in Carlos and Charlene.

Jade Restaurant-good food and reasonable

Big Daddy's Restaurant-NO< NO NO...a terrible experience, service and foodwise. NO!

Seabreeze Restaurant-acceptable

Tropic Air-Dependable and professional

Coconet and Internet Cafe-both dependable for internet connections.

Can't remember the name of the local restaurant across street from Tropic Air, but try it for authentic Belizean food and the salsa is beyond comparison.

Ramons-Still pricey to stay there but the food was better than before and George, the server, is still one of the best on the island.

Meat Pies-buy them, eat them and enjoy true Belize Breakfast.

Lions Club Bar B Q-Can't beat it...great chicken, cole slaw and beans for $US3.50. Friday and Saturday nights.

Belizeans: Fantastic...only a-holes were a couple of tourists.

Ray
#35217 02/25/01 04:35 PM
M
M
I concur with your observations, Raymond. Years ago I didn't have much desire to stay in SP. Before actually visiting I thought it might be too developed for our tastes, but a day trip and a lunch at Elvi's convinced us to return and spend time. We have loved our stays on AC the past few years, but we have also noted a steady decline at Elvi's, and if I'm ever seen there again, you'll know that premature alzheimers has set in. We had the worst meal (or lack thereof) at Elvi's that we have ever experienced anywhere, and to make things worse it was Valentine's Eve (2000). Our children were with us on this trip, but this was a "parents' night out." Granted, the restaurant was very busy, but we were seated an hour later than originally told, and assured that things would then "move along". People were complaining about the delay and temperature of the food all around us as we waited. I felt sorry for the under-staffed crew on a busy night. We were practicing our patience and our Minnesota-nice attitudes when our waiter and then another wait person began sharing with us disparaging remarks regarding clients that were leaving in disgust! We were shocked. It appeared that a couple of the waiters were actually enjoying aggravating the tourists. My friends from LA had left their five year old with our teens, and as it was getting later and later, they decided to walk back to their room to allow the teens some time to cruise the town. We were to pack up their Valentine's meals to-go. I could go on and on... but the summary is that our table of six was ignored and when our food finally came it was room temp and was less than mediocre. The upside: AC has so many wonderful eating places filled with fabulous folks that Elvi's becomes insignificant. I especially love the meals that come from the street vendors by the park.
A week from today we'll be in Placencia- if we can wade through the mountains of snow we're getting and can find our way to an airport! Anxious? You'd better Belize it!

[This message has been edited by MnMike (edited 02-26-2001).]

#35218 02/25/01 08:39 PM
M
M
We totally agree about Elvi's.We were in AC last September and it was the only place or thing we could complain about.The waiters were friendly,but our food was horrible. The atmosphere was fine,and my mom and my sister's food was OK, but we all agreed that the meals we had at Papi's Diner(very small place)made Elvi's pale in comparison!

Mary and Scott
#35219 02/26/01 10:47 AM
W
W
We had a much better experience at Elvi's for dinner around the 19th. Service was good, food excellent, prices typical. Didn't order them but saw many plates of Stone crab claws go by. Looked very good at prices equal or lower than Florida. Bill

#35220 02/27/01 10:38 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I wanted to add that Alex, at LaPatio Restaurant is fantastic young man and great server.

Also Dr. Giovanni: We had my 88 year old mother with us (her second AC trip in two years) and she developed severe cold. Dr. Giovanni not only made a house call but also delivered antibodies for mother. He is a true, caring doctor and very competent. His wife runs the local pharmacy.

Ray
#35221 02/27/01 11:40 AM
Dr. Giovanni is a wonderful man. My young son got sick there and we went to him. His ear was terribly infected. He gave him pain medication and antibiotics. He was so good to him. You're right. He's wonderful.
Debbie

#35222 02/27/01 02:58 PM
G
G
MnMike...where do you stay while in PLACENCIA?? do you find that area to be what you first found years ago on AC?? we just started to research that area any insight would be helpful....

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 02-28-2001).]

#35223 03/06/01 03:14 PM
G
G
MnMike...still curious??

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.