Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#352825 09/30/09 06:17 AM
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Im planning on moving to the island this winter, was wondering if

a) are there any gyms/places to train jiujitsu on the island?

b) are there any people that would be interested in training if not?

Ive been training BJJ for a few years now (casually). Done a lot of competitions and recently have started to get more into it. Hoping I can find some people here on the island that either already train (any black belt badasses please stand up!) or just people that are interested in it.

Any Submission grappling really would do...

Heres one of my last tournaments smile I eventually got the guys leg and won this match via a foot lock:
[Linked Image]

P.S. I've also been into kickboxing (muay thai) for a while now. but My focus remains on grappling.

Thanks guys!

AC

A C #352826 09/30/09 06:50 AM
Grappling - seems like you should post this with "Single women in San Pedro" LOL

Good luck - as an alternative - why don't you look into volunteering to teach some of the younger local kids your art when you move?

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Id love to teach the local kids (or adults). Would be an honor. Is there any place that has mats of any sort? I guess we could use the beach but that could get nasty haha.

let me know!

AC

A C #352975 10/01/09 09:10 AM
S
S
You may want to re-think that sport as everyone is pretty sweaty around here wink Could get ugly!

P
P
San Pedro Fitnees Club and Train Station Gym (three if Oscars is still open?) that you can get in touch with and offer your services when you arrive. Lemon Crush Lara used to do Kick Boxing (or some form close to it, sorry if thats off Lara) in the small room - with a/c - next to the Fitness Club main building that would be perfect if it has mats.

Phil #352994 10/01/09 10:19 AM
If you are thinking of teaching this form of sport to "kids". Make sure you are Qualified to do so, ie. you hold a grading level that gives you the honor to teach this sport. It is very easy for young children to get over zealous learning such a sport, and can get hurt. I speak from experience, i used to teach "Kung Fu" in Corozal and hold a 3rd dan Black Belt. There was a local "Karate" club here on the island, not sure if it's still going.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
You may want to re-think that sport as everyone is pretty sweaty around here wink Could get ugly!

JiuJitsu is a sweaty sport no matter what hehe.

A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tracker
If you are thinking of teaching this form of sport to "kids". Make sure you are Qualified to do so, ie. you hold a grading level that gives you the honor to teach this sport. It is very easy for young children to get over zealous learning such a sport, and can get hurt. I speak from experience, i used to teach "Kung Fu" in Corozal and hold a 3rd dan Black Belt. There was a local "Karate" club here on the island, not sure if it's still going.

I do no-gi JiuJitsu. We dont really get belts, but I do know how to teach. Enough for the basics. Ive done a lot of work shops and stuff at my house for friends and family. The JiuJitsu that I would be teaching would be more like submission wrestling. There would be no striking what so ever. Its a very very controlled slow sport. In all my years of training (training full go) I've never been hurt any more than a bruise or so.

We will see either way wink worst case its fun to teach adults that want to get a good work out and learn a self defense.

AC

A C #353521 10/05/09 08:50 PM
Maybe we can start something together, I made over 15 Judo and I was in the Swiss National Junior Team. Judo has its roots in the Jiu Jitsu technic's, without using weapons, punches or kicks.

You can send me a PM.

Well - there you go AC, you are bringing something positive to the island. That will get you off to a good start with everyone, you will meet lots of people and the kids will love it.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.