Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35377
03/06/01 03:54 PM
03/06/01 03:54 PM
W
willyg Offline

willyg  Offline
W
Garfish Can't help you with tip meaning but I agree with your tipping philosopy for guides. The measure is at the end of the day-- did you have fun even if the fishing was tough. Bill

Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35378
03/06/01 03:57 PM
03/06/01 03:57 PM
Cos Cob, CT 06807
A
AmbergrisBound Offline OP

AmbergrisBound  Offline OP
A
My father once told me that T.I.P stands for
"To Insure Promptness" - seems to make sense to me? Perhaps someone has a different perspective... what do you think?

Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35379
03/07/01 12:04 AM
03/07/01 12:04 AM
DeSoto, Texas
E
Edd Offline

Edd  Offline
E
Garfish is right on the money about tipping for effort, but let me provide an insider's prospective. The major factor impacting a guides profit margin is fuel. If a guide burns, say $20 in extra fuel running from place to place to find fish on a slow day, it has a real impact on his profit for the day.The guides that are willing to make such an extra effort to put clients on fish really deserve extra consideration at the end of the day. I use a lot of different factors when considering a tip, but #1 on my list is the extra expense the guide invested in trying to provide me with a successful trip. Personally, I think I need to cover these expenses first, and then think about an additional tip. Some of the largest tips I've ever given came on trips when we were skunked, but the guide worked his ass off.

Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35380
03/07/01 09:12 AM
03/07/01 09:12 AM
Mt. Airy, MD, USA
G
gator1 Offline

gator1  Offline
G
I was a river guide for 13 years and put clients on more fish than they could catch, and received no tip, and been skunked and received great tips. To me, a guide's job is to educate, present enjoyment to our clients, and to hunt for fish for the clients to catch. Many fishermen's enjoyment is measured by the weight of their stringer at the end of the day. Others get a kick out of just being outside learning new tricks and seeing beautiful scenery.

As a guide, we always try to put the clients on fish. Fighting one is a bonus. Yes it's great if they land them. As the day progresses, I always am asking myself, are my clients having fun, are they learning something new, and am I doing my best to find fish? If the answer is yes to all, I knew the trip was successful. I never expected a tip. Heck, I was already getting paid to take people fishing. If I didn't like my pay, I could always get another job.

In areas that are nice enough to attract visitors, and those visitors have enough money to afford fishing guides, then the market can support a guiding industry. Okay, so in some areas guides may not make a ton of money. But, they all live in areas where the economy is good enough to support the luxury industry that they are in. If the guides are not making enough money, then they can get supplemental employment or get a different job.

The purpose of a tip is not to provide compensation, their fee is for that. A tip is simply a gesture of gratitude for exemplary service or a method of sharing the clients enjoyment of the day. The form of a tip can vary with the needs or interests of the guide. If he(she) was particularly attracted to your pliers or some other gadget, that's a good tip. If you think that the guide is poor as dirt and is not making any money, then cash is very valuable as a tip.

About 17 years ago, I guided the Valentine boys (Valentine fly reels) salmon fishing in Upstate New York for salmon and steelhead. We fished for 3 days with only 1 fish hooked, and subsequently lost. We fished hard and saw several fish. They learned how salmon behaved during spawning migrations, and learned what I refer to as, how a salmon thinks. As we said our goodbyes on Sunday afternoon, they said to me, "We have never salmon fished before in our lives. We have been all over the nation trout fishing, have done a fair amount of saltwater flyfishing, and have designed a fly reel for what we thought would be good for salmon. Here it is as our thanks to you for taking us fishing."

That was my tip, a one of a kind custom fly reel. I have caught several thousand salmon and steelhead on that reel. And tomorrow I'll be taking it to AC to go bonefishing for the first time in my life.

Tip your guide, even if it is the last warm beer in your cooler. Cash is always appreciated, but any thanks will do.

Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35381
03/07/01 11:19 AM
03/07/01 11:19 AM
flint, mi usa
G
garfish Offline

garfish  Offline
G
GATOR... I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE SAID. I HAVE BEEN ON MANY GUIDED TRIPS AS A CLIENT. MOST (98%) WERE VERY ENJOYABE. THE GUIDES FOR THE MOST PART HAVE BEEN GREAT AND I BELIEVE DESERVE SOME RECOGNITION MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE FOR THEIR EFFORTS. HOWEVER, LIKE IN ANY PROFESSION, THERE ARE THE "BAD APPLES".
THERE ARE SOME GUIDES THAT DO NOT GIVE THE CLIENT A FAIR SHAKE AND GOOD EFFORT. IN FAIRNESS CONSEQUENTLY GET WHAT THEY DESERVE, LITTLE OR NO T.I.P.! TIPPING IS **NOT** MANDITORY!!

Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35382
03/07/01 11:48 AM
03/07/01 11:48 AM
Mt. Airy, MD, USA
G
gator1 Offline

gator1  Offline
G
That's true. I was only referring to those guides that deserve a tip.

Re: T.I.P - Fishing Guides #35383
03/08/01 05:04 PM
03/08/01 05:04 PM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline

Marty  Offline
AWESOME note gator1, thank you for sharing your experience. VERY WELL PUT!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 118 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,541
Posts491,247
Members19,985
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.