Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Ron D Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I did not want to say these things on a forum as public as this bulletin board (I didn't want to frighten tourists) so I tried to discuss these issues at the Caye Caulker Neighborhood Watch Program Limited meeting on October 22. Unfortunately the CCNWPL had no interest in hearing what I or anyone else had to say. The CCNWPL executive board had its own agenda.
In my opinion the CCNWPL's agenda is terrible because: 1) It will not stop crime, 2) It is far more of an anti-Police program than a Crime Stopping program, 3) It plans to charge CC a huge amount of money for a ridiculous hi-tech program that tracks the Police, NOT the crooks, 4) It will divide the people of CC instead of uniting them, 5) It is an insult to the murder of Lorleen Young. It ignores the circumstances of her murder and instead of considering the apprehension of her killer their highest priority, they sit back and wait for some rich guy's $!0,000 reward to catch the killer for them. To the executive members of the CCNWPL I ask this question: "If it were your wife who had been murdered would you sit back and hope that some rich guy's $10,000 reward would catch her killer for you or would you do everything in your power to catch the murdering scum bag and bring him to justice?" For all we know, the person who murdered Lorleen Young is still on Caye Caulker. How safe does that make you feel?

Before Lorleen Young had even been buried people were asking the insensitive but practical question, "How will her murder affect Tourism on Caye Caulker?" So I will ask you: If you were a Tourist which of these two options would you prefer?
Option One: Caye Caulker responds to the murder of a beloved resident by firing their entire Police Force, putting monitoring devices on the cops (NOT the crooks) and hoping a $10,000 reward will catch Mrs. Young's killer (who for all we know may still be on Caye Caulker) for them.
Or Option Two: Caye Caulker responds to the murder of Lorleen Young by DOUBLING both its Police Force and the number of lights on the streets, by using civilian volunteers to assist the Police, by making every effort to encourage residents to freely walk their own streets, by giving residents a clear cut set of Guidelines on how to protect themselves and others and to make it clear to ALL of CC's residents that we either survive together or let ourselves be victimized one at a time. CC appoints a Civilian Review Board to monitor the Police. CC issues a set of Guidelines for the Police so there is no mistaking proper Police behavior from unacceptable behavior. CC rewards its best Police and penalizes or fires its bad cops, not collectively but according to each individual's work and sense of commitment. CC invites the police to all public meetings. CC invites the Police to form their own Review Board where they can criticize civilian behavior and TEACH US how to prevent or respond to crime. But one priority stands above all others: We petition any authority in Belize to do everything in its power to help us apprehend Lorleen Young's killer.
We, the people of Caye Caulker, make it clear that we have so much respect for each other that we bend over backward to everyone, regardless of ethnicity or economic status to work together as equals. We oppose anything that divides us, including a police force that treats Residents differently than Tourists. Belize prides itself on doing whatever is necessary to protect every living thing within its boundaries. After my first full Off-Season in CC, I would say the most Endangered Species on Caye Caulker are its residents. The Tourism Board and Business Owners must acknowledge the fact that nothing will kill CC quicker than "Unsustainable Tourism." Tourists will feel safe on CC when its residents feel safe. We either survive as a community or we are taken down one at a time.
Although I do not love the backdoor tactics of the CCNWPL or their bizarre Crime Busting strategy, I think they are brilliant organizers. But if they do not make a commitment to act on behalf of ALL the people on CC, they should fire themselves.
A Word to Business Owners who intend to donate money to the CCNWP's ridiculous "Police Tracking Device"-Have you seen one bit of evidence that putting GPS Tracking Devices on the cops stops or cuts down Crime? Why would people smart enough to run a successful business be gullible enough to pay for that expensive, useless Monitoring Device?
A Small Gesture I would love to see: I would love to see the CCNWPL take up a collection to provide new uniforms for the "Black Neighborhood" basketball team. I would like to see the CC Police Force make a contribution to the uniforms. (I will donate the first $50 to the collection.)
Ron David

C
C
An author of books can write powerful stuff...you may need a bit more time and understanding of the small island and how it works..and how it dosnt work.how to get your point across and how not to be heard,.GO SLOW is more than just a cute tourist logo. Lot of problems true, more than some places and alot less than most places.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
W
W
As a tourist *coming soon to CC, I would hope that the CCNWPL Board/committee will take Ron David's advice and start to work SLOWLY i guess - on OPTION #2. Just using common sense, and not much else is needed, makes Mr. David's comments the most valuable I have heard throughout this past year. What the heck is the point of a tracking device. Put it on the criminals. Oops sorry, you don't know who they are. OR DO YOU?(some of you)
I have sent a LOT of tourists your way in the past decade. But if things don't clear up there, this will be MY own last trip.
PLEASE CONSIDER AT LEAST SOME OF RON DAVID'S COMMENTS!!!!

T
T
I don't live on Caye Caulker but I can tell you that some of the things the NW is looking to implement are actually very useful. In most cases preventing crime is as simple as having a presence. If people honest and not so honest see the police and law enforcement they are more likely to abide by the law. The patrol system simply allows you to monitor after the fact(not GPS) the patrol routes and exact times at each location. The historical data allows you to look back and make adjustments to the patrols (you know where they are at what time and how long it took them to get to the next location) as well as know that the police and others are actually doing the patrols they were meant to do.

One of the patterns we have seen in regards to crime is that in about 90% of the instances they are simply crimes of opportunity. eliminate the opportunity and eliminate the crime.

Tourists will feel more comfortable is they see a presence and crooks will move on to greener pastures.

You can't change the past but you can make the changes needed for a good future and I believe that is what the NW in Caye Caulker is trying to do. They may not get it right 100% of the time but they will make an effort and in so doing make a difference. My suggestion to everyone on the island is voice your opinions and concerns but help each other. Always try to be constructive. Just because things are not being done the way you want them don't give up on the program. Try to understand it from the other side as well. In unity there is strength.

Get Strong Caye Caulker

I know what you are saying makes some sense travelinman1 - however I must say that in my opinion monitoring and logging the patrol of a private security outfit is acceptable, but monitoring the government police is not.

The police have a job to do and they know how to do it. With a new police contingent on the caye perhaps folks might try and be appreciative and supportive of these fine people - an oppresive atmosphere will breed contempt. Team work is the caye. The NHW can work in conjunction with the police and they can support each other.

P
P
In the light of the appalling policing we have had on AC in the past and which CC has enjoyed up until the present, that statement seems to me almost disingenuous, and certainly quite unrealistic. I think it is ESSENTIAL to monitor the police and to be seen doing it.

S
S
Frankly, I would prefer to hear what the residents of CC think about this...

R
Ron D Offline OP
OP Offline
R
To SNOOPY MOON
I agree with you. My main objection to the plan is that te organizers are trying to put it place before the residents of CC even know it exists. The organizers (CCNWPL-Caye Caulker Netghborhood Watch Limited) announced to a grand totak of about 50 people that they intended to have their entire program in place by November 15. So the people of CC have 12 days to decide on something most of them don't even know exists.
I won't pretend to have any inside information, because I don't. But I swear to you that 80 or 90 percent of the people I've asked do NOT want to fire CC's entire Police Force. That is why I am so upset.

To COOPER
You are certainly right in many of the things you said about me. I do have to spend more time on CC to understsnd it. And I do have to learn how to Go Slow. So please help me express the belief that the residents of CC are being bypassed by CC's self-appointed crime stoppers. All I am saying is that we should ASK CC's residents what they want before putting any program into law. I would be in your debt, Ms. Cooper if you can help me find a more appropriate way to make my point.

To WITHOUT REGRET or anyone else considering a trip to Caye Caulker
My wife and I have lived on Caye Caulker for six months. It is the most beautiful place we have ever seen...and the most beautiful thing about it are its people. Ultimately the people of CC will do a fine job of stopping crime. One of the other aspects of the CCNWPL agenda that I passionately object to is their plan to separate CC's Police Force into Tourist Police and Residents Police. How long will it be before that bad-spirited plan divides the people?
Despite that I know the people of CC will do a good job of stopping ceime. But they (WE) will do it in fpite of (not because of) our politicians.

To TRAVELINMAN1
1. Yes, I agree, "half of preventing crime is having a strong police presence." which leads to the simple logical conclusion that the best way to increase your "police presence" is to increase the number of police!
2. Collecting Historical Data? CC already has 20 years worth of Historical Data. Just about anyone on CC can tell you where the island's Hot Spots are.
3. When you say Tourists will feel more comfotable pf they see a presence and "crooks will move on to greener pastures"--"greener pastures" is evasive doubletalk meaning RESIDENTS instead of Tourists.
My oblection is not about "getting it right 100% of the time." My objecion is to tossing the residents because you think it will help you increase Tourism and make you a few more dollars.
I will repeat what should be obvious to any sane person: Residents & Tourists--Either we survive together or we don't survive at all.

To AMANDA (and anyone who is curious)
Despite my strong opinions I will support CC in every way no matter who is in charge. I go to the meetings, I have volunteered to be "on patrol" at the most difficult or dangerous times and although I am a geezer by some standards, I make ita point now more than ever to walk CC's streets for about an hour every night. I love this island and the people on it and I will support it every way.
Ron D
PS: Dear WITHOUTREGRET, come to CC and send all your friends.

I have talked to many Cayo Hicanenos also and most agree that the police are not ALL bad. There is room for improvement.

Sgt Wade is there now, San Pedro's loss is CC gain. He will do his best to work through the misunderstandings, complaints etc and get to the crux of the matter at hand.

S
S
Hes got a tough crowd to work with!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day