Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the info, everyone. Haven't made my mind up yet. The maintenance fees are $600 per year (and it is an every other year usage) for a 2 bedroom unit, which seemed like a pretty good deal for such a large unit, works out to less than $100 a night for what sounds like a decent place that can easily accommodate 4 to 6 people. I have not bought a timeshare before but have friends who swear by it so mulling it over. But really appreciate everyone's input.

E
E
Keep in mind. Lan has a agenda.

So, E............are you advocating TS purchases now???? Did gold drop today? laugh

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
So, Eanie B, what's my agenda?

Do you know me? Have you met me over the 20 years or so I've been banging around Belize? Have you read my books on Belize? My magazine and newspaper articles? My website?

Sorry, but I don't have a clue who you are. In fact, I don't even know what your real name is.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
canuckgirl, do some checking. If your time share is an everyother year, so should the maintence fee be. We own there and started with an everyother year and that is the way the fee was for us.

canukgirl, so maintenance fees are $600 per year (or every other year, whatever). How much is the buy-in price? What week(s) do you get?

Let's for argument's sake say that the buy-in is $10,000 for 20 years of week 14 (you wish), now add that to (20 X $600 = $12,000 + $10,000 = $22,000) divided by the 20 years = $1100 per year divided by 7 days = $157+/- per night, and you are stuck with it.

You'll have to excuse me, canukgirl and any others, I've only been to a few presentations over the years and none for quite a while, so my example numbers are probably out to lunch. Be that as it may, at the time that I did almost drink the kool-ade a time or two, a good calculator coupled with my desire to have options outweighed any slight perceived value.

But to each their own...some people have a cabin on the lake . . and are perfectly happy all their lives, going for a couple of weeks to that cabin on the lake.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Here is my two cents worth. I inherited a time share when my mother died. I always thought they were really awful deals but I didn't have any choice it was mine. Now that I have had the experience of owning one I can confirm that at least based on my experience it is very bad deal indeed. I am not saying that Captain Morgan's is not nice and I have no dog in this fight. I will tell you that financially speaking I don't think it works out too well for the owners. However, I also get the impression that a lot of people that own time shares get some psychic returns from their ownership interest. I guess it would be nice to say at a cocktail party that I have a great two weeks every year in place A plus I can usually trade those weeks for places B-Z. Financially it simply doesn't make sense but not all decisions are made on what is best financially. So, if this is your cup of tea enjoy it and if not then "live and let live".

Captain One Iron
C
C
It just seems to me that for the cost of one of those condos, you could buy a piece of land and build a house way cheaper. That's what we did anyway. (not on AC, but down on Maya Beach) I don't understand why someone would "buy" a condo. Or however they do it.

Originally Posted by seashell
canukgirl, so maintenance fees are $600 per year (or every other year, whatever). How much is the buy-in price? What week(s) do you get?

Let's for argument's sake say that the buy-in is $10,000 for 20 years of week 14 (you wish), now add that to (20 X $600 = $12,000 + $10,000 = $22,000) divided by the 20 years = $1100 per year divided by 7 days = $157+/- per night, and you are stuck with it.

You'll have to excuse me, canukgirl and any others, I've only been to a few presentations over the years and none for quite a while, so my example numbers are probably out to lunch. Be that as it may, at the time that I did almost drink the kool-ade a time or two, a good calculator coupled with my desire to have options outweighed any slight perceived value.

But to each their own...some people have a cabin on the lake . . and are perfectly happy all their lives, going for a couple of weeks to that cabin on the lake.

Recalculate the 20 years with 99 years and see what you get. This price stays more constant vs. the natual tendancies of costs rising yearly when you rent a room. Whats the cost of a rental 10 years out.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Seems to me that a potential buyers age should be factored into the formula somehow. I'm not really interested in a timeshare. However at my age i would be lucky to enjoy such a move for another 10-12 years at best, let alone 99!
Just sayin...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.