Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
hate to be so blunt, from a pure business perspective, i think this is one dumb idea.

but then again, i'm notorious for not knowing diddly, we all know that...but can sommeone explain the basic math to me? How much do you think they are gonna have to charge per ticket to get people to get butts in seatas?? how much for the airconditioning alone for a venue that big? the equipment, the stuff inside, the staff, all of it...

Lets say they charge the same as a US ticket, in BZD... I dunno people, what is it, $8 US? $16 per person to see a movie, i wanna bring my spouse and kids...so we are $64, plus $10 to cross the bridge.

300 seats!?!?!?!?!?....how the HELL are you gonna get 300 people to cross the bridge, pay $10 to do so, and then buy tickets? what abuot snacks etc? and if you COULD do it, how many nights a week you think you're gonna be able to!?!? jees...there arent that many people here! and if they DO go, how many times will they go in a year? at those prices...i dunno...those of you who dont livehere....how many times a year do you go to the movies? how manytimes do your friends? this is just such dumb math....or the old 'new' math???

while it would be LOVELY to have something to do, to have a place to go on a date (assuming there was anyone to date!)...would be LOVELY no doubt...

but one thing we all know when you live here, its not the gringos that fuel this place, and while tourism helps, if the locals cant afford it, then there simply isnt enough need for the idea to make it financially viable.

ah....reef village.....god love 'em....so many dreams, so little reality, even less logic...IMO of course smile .

The movie theatre won't make money - the business plan would have to be focusing on making money on concerts, food and drink sales, ticket sales of top bill actors/singers etc.

S
S
You bring up a lot of good points, Lara. But you do have to give them credit for trying to push the envelope. Any business is risky in Belize, but good for them for giving it a shot!

If you'd like more info, check out our Belize articles at http://www.paradisehunter.com
The best thing about this Lara is, you aint building it and no money out of your pocket.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
S
Ever consider that the theatre could be a "loss leader" for Reef Village if guests will be staying there (+drinks/food) and perhaps they might sell the concert goers a time shares or two?

Either way, the entire island/ country of Belize stands to benefit from this (bridge passes, tropic and Maya airlines, golf carts, restaurants, mainland excursions, etc), I applaud their efforts and look forward to enjoying popcorn and a real movie on a rainy day smile

I would like to note that this theatre will also give people and the community a chance to see and do live theatre as well. Could we maybe think that happy little thought for awhile? Cultural enrichment is never a bad thing. From what I understand, the stage will be small, but perfect for youth theatre in particular.

The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish
Jaques Cousteau
A
A
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
OH YEAH? That's what people come to a sub tropical island for; to sit inside a dark room and look at something they can see at home?

Thanks Harriette, that we always can be up-to-date with your private little war against Reef Village and everything that smell like them - it's really exciting! Thanks, that you tell us why people come to San Pedro and what people want and do not want. I'm not sure if this forum should be subject of your private frustration?
Originally Posted by elbert
It may be my sheltered life, but I was thinking the world of movie going had changed and technology like HD-DVD,Flat Screen had people watching their flicks/pixels at home now.
What i do is get a DVD form Tech Transylvania and watch at my leisure.

.... and I really like Elbert who does the same over and over again - private war - and all in public! He's the guy who fights for environment with a "solar suck"-attitude and in the end posts that he rather buys illegal copies of movies from a San Pedro shop instead of watching movies in cinemas - I'm again very impressed, Elbert!

I see all the concerns - lost business - too many seats - too expensive and the bridge pass is already calculated in the worries (I think I'm going to walk across the bridge and will buy 2 drinks from the money I saved!:-)

When I read all the concerns I think: "why can't these people be happy anymore? Be excited about something new? a next step?"

My message is" Hurray - some culture and new night life in San Pedro! Wow, my favorite movies really big in the atmosphere with many people around, popcorn, ice cream and people stretching their bones after the movie - a smile in their eyes - "The Painted Veil", "Frida" or "Gran Torino" on a big screen, Tammy might present a writer reading parts of her/his book, and in summer the kids of the summer camp play any stage play and feel like real theater actors and their parents very proud in the audience, "Lorrie Morgan", "Garth Brooks" or "Christopher Cross" on stage and maybe a reunion? That sounds really good to me and I ask myself: Why are there soooo many people who seem to be so mad? Man - the sky is blue and the sun shines and: no shirt - no shoes - no problem and still lots of people just see dark clouds on the horizon!?
Maybe one day Bobby McFerrin will be on this stage and will sing: "Don't worry - be happy" - Harriette & Elbert may I then invite you to the show - just for this one song? But I don't have a bridge pass - hope that's no problem!?

S
S
Heh heh....nice post!

Ditto!

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
P
P
Look I like the idea of being able to see a concert or a movie. Lets face it the Island is beautiful but what do you do at night that is not going to the bar or going to a friends place? Or on a rainy Sunday evening. Plus if Reef Village is willing to bring in some new acts for us to see well then I am all for it.
I am for sure getting tickets to the Lorrie Morgan and if Garth Brooks come for him too.
Lets hope that we can have some live theater too.
smile

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.