Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#360160 12/04/09 06:39 PM
OP Offline
Ok, I know a lotta lawyers here. Six of the jurors wore red, green, and white sashes, Italy's colors, as they presented the verdict. Would something like this in the States fly? Seems like fodder for an appeal to me.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Sad!

Dare To Deviate
OP Offline
The thought that the reputation of my country may be the determining factor in my guilt or innocence is scary.

Scary for sure.

Dare To Deviate
P
P
Seems to me the verdict was based on the evidence, and on the disposition of the defendants in court. From what was reported in the press, which I know is no way to judge anyone, it did seem to me most likely that she did do it. I'm not upset by the verdict.

Almost as scary as all of the innocent people who have been sentenced to death in the USA. At least Amanda and Raffaele haven't been sentenced to death. And don't forget, there was also an Italian convicted for this crime - Amanda Knox is not the only person who was found guilty in this case. They will not have the threat of execution hanging over them as they fight to prove their innocence as so many others have had.

Since 1973, over 130 people have been released from death rows throughout the USA due to evidence of their wrongful convictions. How many innocent people who have been executed is unknown?

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

OP Offline
I'm no death penalty proponent and I know innocent people get the shaft every day. I agree it's horrible, but had nothing to do with my point.

She may be guilty as sin -- I haven't followed it closely enough to pass judgment on the evidence. However, I do know that despite an Italian young man also on trial, the media coverage in Italy has been pre-occupied with Knox. This has been made-out to be a cause for Italian nationalism against an unpopular United States in Northern Italy. There's still a great deal of animosity around crimes -- even deaths -- caused by American servicemen that went unpunished in Italian eyes.

The scarves through me for a loop. Say what you will about the death penalty, that would have never been allowed here -- am I wrong?

S
S
In Belize? Or? Where is "here"?

OP Offline
take your pick jesse --

collyk referenced the US death penalty history and so I thought the reference was clear without an admonition, but feel free to chime in on the Belizean system.

Well Otterlaum - How do you know the media coverage has been pre occupied with Amanda? Have you read the Italian press or have you read the USA press and their version of what is going on. I have read the European press daily throughout this case, not particularly because I am interested in this case, although I do suspect a miscarriage of justice, but because I am interested in what happens in Europe. Most European press has been remarkably balanced under the circumstances and Amanda's side has, in my opinion, been given a fair hearing. Much fairer, in fact, than the coverage of many young black people charged or convicted of crimes in the southern states, such as Troy Davis, who has closely avoided execution 3 times in Georgia. I hope Amanda and Raffaele get their day in court and are found not guilty as part of the justice system in Italy, which is as sophisticated as the USA justice system. I was just pointing out that it is lucky they don't have imminent death hanging over their heads while they do so...and no I don't agree that their trial was any less fair than any other high profile trial. Raffaele was found just as guilty as Amanda, so I am not sure how nationality comes into it.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.