Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#361137 12/12/09 07:58 AM
A
arusha1 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, Does anyone know the best way to call and recieve calls from the US. My cell does not have coverage in Belize and my wife's cell will have a cost of $3.24 per minute are there any other options. Maybe rent a phone with a calling card?
Thank you

K
K
If you have a laptop with you, you could use one of the internet phone options. Skype is one, and you can call other Skype users for free. Or you can buy Skype credit to call land lines and cell phones for around 2-5 cents/minute.

I use Skype to Skype for family, but haven't tried paying yet.

P
P
I do that and it works well, through a VPN. Best to have a headset with microphone.

K
K
Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Best to have a headset with microphone.

Definately. But check out the Skype thread we're in too. I didn't know there was an issue with Skype in Belize.

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/361180.html#Post361180

ooVoo is another free alternative.

J
JMR Offline
J
If your phone is unlocked you can just buy a sim card at BTL for $10BZ plus some minutes and your phone becomes a local prepaid phone. It costs about $.35 to call the US on that. You can also dial 1010199 then 1....... on a land line. That route is pretty cheap as well.

L
L
JMR, I was just doing research into this today and someone told me about calling 1010, something, but they did not remember the rest of the numbers. BTL pretty much has calls monopolized within Belize, but for those of us that need to place calls to Belize, its expensive.

Thanks for the info!

R
ron Offline
R
I've been using Skype to call into Belize with reasonable success. Doesn't work to call a smart phone I haven't gotten thru to a smart phone in months. And when in Belize just buy a SIM card and it costs .25 per minute.

L
L
Yes, I understand calling from Belize when one is there and I have no need to call the U.S when there, only to call local Belize numbers, but I am still trying to figure out the best economical way to phone friends in Belize from the U.S. who do not have computer access and only have BTL cell phones. I am frustrated and U.S. calling cards suck. I can get 900 minutes state to state calling, but when I place a call to Belize, the same recording says I have 30 minutes for the call. Insane. There must be a better way??

R
ron Offline
R
I use skype on my computer and call friends cell phones in Belize. Cost .25 a minute. Thats Skype's normal charge for calling computer to cell phone. Calling a land line is another price.

A C Offline
Originally Posted by LaurieMar
Yes, I understand calling from Belize when one is there and I have no need to call the U.S when there, only to call local Belize numbers, but I am still trying to figure out the best economical way to phone friends in Belize from the U.S. who do not have computer access and only have BTL cell phones. I am frustrated and U.S. calling cards suck. I can get 900 minutes state to state calling, but when I place a call to Belize, the same recording says I have 30 minutes for the call. Insane. There must be a better way??

get google voice (its in beta but you can buy an invite on ebay for a couple bucks), its 22 cents /min (if i remember correctly) to call BZ.

enjoy

AC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 230 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.