Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#36149 03/15/01 06:47 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
D
A brief summary of my receint trip:

Arrived in Belize City 2/27/10 stayed at the Bellview hotel ($83.00 US). Could not recommend this place. It was not as nice as any of the other places that we stayed at. They have kareoke there that kept us awake most of the night. Actually, there's nothing about Belize City that interested me. I will skip this place in my future visits.
We hired a guide the next day ( Edgar August 150.00 US per day. Worth every penny, very nice guy who knew everything about every part of Belize) who drove us to San Ignacio. On the way we stopped at the Jaguar Paw Resort for lunch. What a beautiful place. I will definately stay there the next time I come to Belize. We spent the night at Cahal Pech Village. This place was a bargain. 65.00 USus, for the largest hotel room that I have I have ever seen. It also had a wonderful view of the town below. They also had cabannas that looked nice, but we opted for a room with ac.
The next day we set out for Placencia. I was interested in investment property there, and I was not disappointed with what I found there. However, we didn't care for the hotel that we had reserved (I think it was the Nautical hotel) and we ended up staying at the Rum Point Inn. It was a very nice place, but we blew our budget there. The room and meal pkg. there was 250.00 US for 1 night and dinner for 3 (all dinners were 25.00 US and it was not worth it). But, I would have to say that the room was worth the price. It was certainly the nicest place we stayed durring our trip.
The next day we traveled to Corozal. I didn't think much of this part of Belize. It was flat and uninteresting topography. We stayed at Tony"s Inn and Resort. It was 70.00 US and was clean and comfortable. The next day we caught a flight from there to Ambergris Caye. We stayed at the Holliday Hotel. It was old but clean. Unfortunately, the ac didn't work, but there was a nice breeze that night and so it wasn,t so bad (57.00 US). We were planning to stay in San Pedro for 2 additional nights, but I had an accident tripping over a hammock and fractured my knee, so my trip was over. I caught the next flight home and am very dissappointed that I couldn't take advantage of the water sports available in Ambergris Caye. I had planned on snorkleing ther reef, Chartering a fishing boat, and taking a glass bottom boat trip. But, I will return, and do all of those things.
One thing that I learned about Ambergris Caye. They have a clinic with a good doctor. He stayed late to see me, and came in the next day when he was off duty to write me an emergency note for the airlines which enabled me to get on the next available flight even though it was already full. But, the clinic didn't have an x-ray machine, The closest one was in Belize city. So, you don't want to get injured there.
Over all, the trip was great. The people are very nice. The country has a lot to offer. For such a small country there is more diversity than I could imagine (jungle, mountains, caves, beaches, reef, ruins, ect..) and I just scratched the surface durring my 5 days there. I left out a lot in this report, but my leg is hurting and I need to ice it down. But, I did get alot of imformation from this forum and I felt that I should at least make an effort at a report.

I am looking forward to my next visit.

Sincerly,
David Evans

#36150 03/15/01 07:37 PM
D
D
Hey Dave, sorry about the accident with the hammock. You have to be extra careful down here. What happened to you is very common. We call this place Disney Land with no guard rails! Is Charlie Leslie still running the Kingfisher in Placentia? I haven't been down that way in a while.

#36151 03/15/01 09:29 PM
Thanks for the report. I hope you are pain free soon!

#36152 03/15/01 11:32 PM
E
Edd Offline
E
Dave's post really points out how important modern medical equipment is to the tourism industry on AC. Back during the Hurricane Keith effort, we sent a heart monitor to the clinic in response to the concerns of a visitor who was bringing her ailing Mom.These two events should drive home the point of the importance of quality medical care, if AC is to significantly grow its tourism base. American tourists, particularly us old guys, don't want to be far from a top quality medical facility. What a shame to have qualified doctors, without the equipment they need to provide first class treatment. Hey, GOB, are you listening?????

#36153 03/16/01 09:34 AM
R
R
Right ON!

1. Edgar August is absolutely the finest driver and friend that anyone could ask for in Belize.

2. Dr. Giovani at AC is compassionate, caring and highly competent and professional. He cared for (Condo bedside call) our 88 year old mother and even personally delivered medicine.

Ray
#36154 03/16/01 10:34 AM
C
cjd Offline
C
I would have iced it down with Belikins and doubled the usual rum intake for the rest of the trip.

#36155 03/16/01 02:56 PM
C
C
Can I ask a stupid question. None of you guys ever metnion any interaction with the local people. Is there a reason for this or do you just have no interaction with them.

Cases in point. Edd mentions that GOB should provide adequate health care for tourists. It is my understanding that they can not even provide health care for the local people. So why should tourists think that they deserve better.
Another man said that he fishes and does catch and release. Does this mean that he knows no locals that could possible benefit from a fish meal.
Another idea was to pass out candy for the kids. Do none of you guys have any interaction with the locals. Do you go to their houses and eat in their homes? If the answer is no why not? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

#36156 03/16/01 04:02 PM
G
G
Checker...nice thoughts. I've not even been there yet, but I can tell you about CATCH & RELEASE. Usually when fishing I am usually fishing with a (LOCAL)guide. Even though I do not usually KILL my catch unless I plan to eat it. I will offer it to the guide for him to eat or do with whatever he chooses. He could take it home and distribute it however he would like....I would have to figure that LOCAL guides would know better than any tourist who should and could use the fish....Good idea CHECKER.. pass the word to the guides and see IF they will HELP THEMSELVES & or THEIR NEIGHBORS...

#36157 03/16/01 04:13 PM
G
G
WHEW...I NEED A CHILLED RUM AND PINEAPPLE..TOO HEAVY FOR A VACATION BOARD>>>>MAYBE I NEED A VACATION...
YEA THAT'S IT...5 DAYS AND COUNTIN....

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 03-16-2001).]

#36158 03/16/01 05:22 PM
M
M
Checker: You might be interested in the "sensative topic" thread in the General Chat Forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.