Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CPB Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone. I am writing a newspaper article on Ambergris Caye for "The Times" a daily newspaper from Shreveport, LA,USA. I was in AC in July of last year. Had a fantastic time! I searched this message board often before my trip and was pleased to find so much useful information. I would like to ask for your help in writing this article. The article will focus on the activites offered by AC and will touch on the t.v. show Temptation Island.
I have some questions which I hope some of you can answer.
Has the t.v. show brought about more tourism? Do tourists lured by the show appreciate AC for its diving/fishing activities,the laid back attitude of friendly people and great food,etc. or are do they expect folks to be running about scantily clad and drinking rum punch?
Has the show been positive for AC?
Could it bring about any changes in AC?
Your responses are appreciated! Thanks, Carol B.

CPB...it's funny you should say scantly clad...
I saw Temptation Island...and only knew of Belize thru a friend as a mountainous place(mainland). After seeing the show I investigated it for diveing.(found this board).

I'll be looking for some scantly clad fish...and the rum punch..well..I might be talked into one or two...but I'm more of a belkin type a guy.
Not to say that I would refuse a nice girl...just not expecting that kind of trip...
I arrive 18 April...have the days gotten longer...seems like it's sooooo far away.
Start chilling those puppy's down folks...

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
Alas -- all my friends and neighbors now want to go to Belize!
I've been going there for 3 years and everyone always said "Where's Belize?" I am actually making arrangements for two sets of people right now. I wish I had bought my retirement home BEFORE all that publicity.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
M
Carol...we made our first (of many, I am sure)visit to AC last September two weeks before Hurricane Keith hit. We are going back in September and we hope that AC has not changed since Temptation Island. We only watched the first show. Other than the shots of AC, we were not impressed, and truly hope that the hard core "party crowd" will head for Cancun or someplace similar that caters to the die-hard party crowd. Not that a wild time can't be found on AC, and nothing against those who are looking for it. We just think (and hope) that if they do come to AC they may head for a wilder climate for their next vacation! There are just too many laid back vacationers,divers, snorkelers,and fun loving(but not "wild") folks who want AC to remain as is!

Mary and Scott
I am a travel agent who only sells Belize. I was flat out busy all last year and expected a major slow down after Hurricane Keith in Oct. It didn't happen. The holidays were booming and I expected it to slow down again after the first of the year. Again, it didn't happen. In fact it got busier! I have been overwhelmingly swamped for the last few months. This week is the first it has slowed down at all(that's why I have a chance to even look at the message board!!) I think a lot of the last few months' business has been due to Temptation Island. I get many inquires with reference to the show. And I do seem to be getting younger clients lately (20's). They usually start out asking about AC but once I send them my "general info letter" asking whether they would be interested in seeing the mainland's rainforests, Mayan ruins, etc.and give them a few websites to look at, many do split up the trip and spend part on the island and part inland. I also have seen a big increase in the amount of honeymoon couples coming to Belize. Maybe they want to see if they can survive/resist the "temptation!" I do think the show has had a big impact on tourism. I have not been on the island since the show started so cannot say firsthand if there has been a local impact but I would guess just by the sheer numbers of people coming, there must be changes. Hopefully for the good of everyone! www.barbsbelize.com

J
J
One change for the worse--Temptation Island T shirts on sale in the shops--ugh!

D
D
Yeah it has had an effect. We are busy as hell with a new type of tourist. Younger and more scantily clad in fact. It will level out no doubt, but good timing after Keith. We don't mind. Everyone is welcome on La Isla Bonita.

F
F
Must admit, I had pretty much decided on another destination. Then I saw the scenes from "the show" and decided on Belize. Going next month, can't wait.

R
R
On the t-shirt issue...what would all the regulars recommend as the t-shirt to buy as a souvenir.

I bought the one of a skeleton wearing full scuba gear......reading... a bone chilling experience... Belize, Central America.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.