Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#36271 03/19/01 04:33 PM
C
cjd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Did anybody see the show on Animal Planet last week with Manny, Mark, and Megan the divers? (I think it's called Extreme Contact or something like that)? They did a show about diving/snorkeling with sharks, especially nurse sharks. It was filmed in the Florida Keys. I found it interesting that they said that there are more bites reported by nurse sharks then any other species in the world. This may not have been entirely accurate. Even if it is true, I'm sure that statistically it makes sense because people are more likely to interact closely with them than most other species of sharks. Has anyone ever heard of any bad bites at Shark/Ray Alley? Not to stir up a panic or anything...it wont stop me from going there)

I just found it curious and interesting. hmmm

#36272 03/19/01 04:39 PM
I think I saw the show you are referring to. Was it the show where the guy was bitten by a nurse shark who refused to let go and they had to use a crowbar to release his jaws from the guys chest? I'm sure those nurse sharks in Belize are ok, they get to drink belikens all the time so they are pretty laid back, I'm hoping!!!

#36273 03/19/01 04:55 PM
C
cjd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
If its the same show I didn't see that part! The show I saw has a host with long gray hair and a beard (His name is "Manny").

#36274 03/19/01 05:10 PM
I didn't see that guy with the gray hair, I got a little scared after I saw the nurse shark hanging off his chest. Regardless, that could happen with anything, I once had a frog try to hang off my chest, oops, that was my ex-husband.

#36275 03/19/01 06:06 PM
Hey Becky, it's time you graduated from frogs to Iguanas? I think I'll be armed when I snorkel down there. I'll probably hit them on the nose with a belekin.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#36276 03/19/01 06:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ok, i did not see it, and i do not dive, so that must make me an expert on the subject; did they mention that perhaps more people get bitten by nurse sharks because we call them safe and people dive near tham often? we have more exposure to nurse sharks than others, i think, and they are used to having people come and bother them. right? am i being stupid here? it seems logical...

#36277 03/19/01 06:36 PM
Okay folks..... I was under the impression that the reason they call them "nurse" sharks is that instead of biting and chewing their prey, they kind of suck it in like a nursing child. Their mouths tend to be more underneath them than out in front. I was also under the impression that they don't have the teeth that many species of sharks have... Have I been mislead???? You mean I got in the water with them, and they bite?? It took me 15 minutes to get up the courage to do that...... It was WONDERFUL once I did....They didn't bother me, and I didn't bother them except to watch. I did pet one VERY briefly. The guide had flipped it over, rubbed it's belly and had it in a trance like state. Do we have any posters willing to post some picutures of them up close so we can re-inspect?
Debbie

#36278 03/19/01 08:00 PM
I have pictures of nurse sharks. I'll post one that is very up close as soon as I get my scanner working again.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#36279 03/19/01 10:53 PM
C
cjd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Their mouths are definately on the bottom of their body as opposed to the front (like a great white), which makes them more adapted to eat things on the ocean floor, but they have lots of rows of very sharp teeth. Their mouth is smaller than most sharks', but their jaw is also more powerful. (Ohhh scary) You're probably right Jane that they bite more people because we mess with them more than other kinds of sharks.

#36280 03/20/01 01:27 AM
This Topic is going to get better and better I just know. LOL
All I know is the Nurse Sharks that I hugged did not bite me, and I sure will be petting and hugging them again real soon. They do suck their food in, and they do have teeth and I guess if you got yourself in their mouth they might grip down. Shark Ray alley seemed safe to me, but out in the sea it might be a different story.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.