Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
A boycott of BTL services WOULD be effective, kid yourselves not!
It worked for Martin Luther King Jr. and gave Blacks and ALL minorities the right that says "My money is just as good as anyone else's." BTL would not survive without revenue. Sure, it'll be hard on Belizeans, but it's better to suffer 30 days hardships than wait till 2002 !!!

T
OP Offline
T
That's what I'm saying! The reason I am posting this now is because it is fresh in people's minds how important dependable and affordable communications are!
One company has decided to stand and fight, so let this be the beginning. The wheels are already turning for the big cheeses to setup another 50 year monopoly with BTL come 2002! That you can believe.
The goal is to get the momentum going!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Somebody should do a solid study for action by the authorities on the power of the internet during a crisis - given simple good connectivity and stable service, and highly dedicated people around the globe.

Truly remarkable how so few have been able to do so much so quickly to greatly benefit so many.

G
G
if it wasn't for the internet i would never have know there was a hurricane in belize. A good friend of mine sent an e-mail with subject"pray for belize". shortly after that i was on www.weather.com where i saw the monster in action. and then i came to //www.ambergriscaye.com where information was first hand then i phoned home. all within the space of an hr.
being an anti-capitalist i would love to see btl crumble. how on earth with a population of 240,000 (mostly under 25 yrs) strong people can a company rise to the millions of dollars in profit and still restrict and punish us for keeping them there. www.letsbombbtl.com

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
09/20 - Group buys BTL shares, signals telecom war

Reliable reports this week say that Belize Holdings Limited and other Ashcroft interests have acquired the 25 percent share interest which MCI has been holding in Belize Telecommunications Limited, despite the strictures which forbid any one entity from owning more than a quarter of BTL.

The Ashcroft buyout is the latest move to jockey for a position of strength in anticipation of the showdown which is sure to come when BTL tries to renew its monopoly status in the year 2003.

The MCI shares will give the Ashcroft group the right to elect two more directors to add to the one director it already has. By calling for a poll at the next annual general meeting, which is due sometime soon, the Ashcroft group may be able to elect two more directors for a total of five out of eight board room seats.

The Government of Belize has already broadly hinted that BTL's monopoly status will not be renewed, but the Ashcroft interests, which have been allowed to dominate the Belizean economy, is getting ready for a cataclysmic fight which is sure to leave some broken bones in its wake.

Prime Minister Said Musa, who has recently been critical of BTL's performance, is between a rock and a hard place. He risks antagonizing a powerful adversary if he refuses Ashcroft the monopoly concession; and he risks universal condemnation in Belize if he agrees to give any more special favours to the now foreign-owned Belize Telecommunications Limited.

Mr. Musa has had to lean heavily on Mr. Ashcroft's financial support in the campaign leading up to the last general elections, and he knows that he may need this support again. Mr. Ashcroft on the other hand, knows that he has the financial clout to destabilize Belize, and probably calculates that the prospects of destabilization will be enough to bring the Musa government to heel.

But the strong-armed tactics of the reclusive British billionaire are not likely to go unchallenged. DataPro, Ashcroft's chief rival in the telecommunications field, has already made inroads into BTL's once private preserve and can now offer the full range of telecommunications service to its closed market IBC clientele. And BTL is rapidly losing market share in overseas business because of technological advances in the form of The Box, an ingenious gadget with a built-in modem which allows users to make international calls for pennies a minute.

Adding to the woes is a new report from the Caribbean Action Task Force on Money Laundering. This Task Force has expressed open concern at the actions of the Ashcroft-owned Belize Bank, and specifically the role of its President and CEO, Philip Johnson.

Recently, the Task Force reported that "During the course of our interviews, the examiners took note of a material concentration of duties/positions where one individual holds the post of CEO of the largest bank, the Chairman of the private company which administers the IBC/Shipping Registry, Commissioner of the IFSC (International Financial Services Commission) and whose bank acts as a Registered Agent for IBC's. This could cause undue influence.

The report goes on to say: "It was also noted that the advertising material available in the bank's offices heralds that its Corporate Services Division can establish an IBC in 1 Hour, and that beneficial ownership (is) not disclosed, and that there is no requirement to file accounts.

"This type of material certainly gives the impression (notes the Task Force report) which may be far from the truth, that little due diligence would precede registration, if it could all be accomplished in one hour.

"It also highlights questionable features of the international financial services sector.
**From the BzDevelpmentTrustLib.**(I think, as it was emailed to me as is.....
~~So Sounds like 2003!~~
Peace. June

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.