Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Feeding crocodiles has been a dangerous practice in years past. The dangers of it have been explained on countless occasions and performing this action has been deemed illegal by law. Any person caught feeding these wild reptiles may be liable to a fine or imprisonment. Although, the law is there and although warnings have continuously been posted illegal crocodile feeding continues every so often.

The biggest danger stemming from feeding crocodiles is that they begin to associate people with food. With less food sources available to them these animals tend to look for something that will curb their appetite. That is just what they found on December 24th, at the Ambergris Lake. Corri Sterrenberg, owner, explained that shortly after hearing her American staffy, Ginger, yelp the most gut wrenching cry for help, she ran to the sound in the hopes of finding her pet. What she found was a severly injured Ginger, blood soaked and lying in a neighbor's yard. The neighbor's yard lies on the edge of the Lake. Based on the wounds presented on Ginger's frame, Sterrenberg assessed that she had been attacked by a crocodile. "This lake is home to crocodiles and two weeks ago, I lost my Boston terrier to the same fate," she says.

Sterrenberg immediately called Dr. Laurie Droke and advised her of the situation, and Ginger was immediately rushed to the newly opened Animal Hospital. Dr. Droke commenced work on Ginger and five hours later she was patched back up. Ginger's skull had been ripped open, there was a one-inch hole in her diaphragm, both legs suffered bites while a leg on her artery was slashed. Based on the severe wounds and the depth of the gashes, it is ascertained that Ginger was attacked by a crocodile. Due to the excessive blood loss experienced Ginger is lucky to be alive.

Ginger's luck is attributed to the immediate assistance rendered by Dr. Droke. Having bled to death could have been Ginger's fate but because of the first class treatment received she is on her way to a full recovery.

San Pedro Sun

Amazingly good work! Ginger is a lucky dog smile

P
P
That picture doesn't really do justice (if thats the correct phrase) to the injuries this dog received - it just looks like a scratch in the picture. It's also much more powerfully built and muscular dog than it seems in the picture. Very lucky and very pleased it made it. Good luck with the recovery.

I had to do a double take at the photo too. Ginger is very muscular, quite stocky. I was at the Animal Hospital when Ginger came in, she was literally pouring blood from her torso. I am so pleased to hear that she is recovering slowly.

L
L
Ginger hit the doggie lotto! Good work!

L
L
What do think of the local government making this pond and the location farther south a crocodile refuge. They could fence them off and have visiters pay an entrance fee to view feedings. Maybe set up some bleachers and hire all of the guys who used to feed them for tourists anyway. Seems like everyone wins, and is another added attraction for San Pedro. Just a thought!!

Affordable family friendly environment for locals and visiters to enjoy! www.legendsburgerhouse.com
The croc in question has been moved a number of times - and returns to his home. They are territorial creatures.

I for one would not vote to set up a crocodile attraction here. They are wild animals and I think they shouldn't be exploited in such a manner. But that's just me....

Amanda, I agree 100%.....they should be left alone.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Its always the same bottom line with the majority of issues here, There is no enforcement.
Right now,today, croc skulls are being sold on main street in San Pedro to tourist. Mention it to a police officer and he'll say its someone else's department.
The Police have to be more involved and understand what is and what isn't their domain..

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
[Linked Image]
The New Belican Beer calender is out!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.