Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello,
Newbies here with easy inquiry.
This is actually a multiple question inquiry. I've read a travel book from library on Belize Cayes, awaiting US mail for 2 Belize travel books, scoured the internet sites for info. on Cayes(have chosen Caulker), researched Caye Caulker lodging options(Hostels,Hotels,Cabanas,Lodges,Resorts,tent camping,etc...), we have a general idea about all our snorkeling options, restaurants, equip. rentals, etc... I've been reading the plethora of posts on this forum but have yet to find additional info I seek, which is as follows:
I'm visiting Caye Caulker this March and would like to learn more about Croc concerns I need to heed. Apparently, snorkeling in the mangroves is a common and enjoyable experience. Don't the Croc's inhabit mangroves? How can I be certain that I won't find myself snorkeling amongst Croc's?
Just where the heck on Caye Caulker are the Croc's?
(I'm scared to death of being eaten alive).
2. I know we can kayak out to the reef for snorkeling, but are
there any nearby isle's we can kayak out to (within reasonable distance) to spend our afternoons relaxing on a deserted (or at least semi-deserted) beach, one we can snorkel off of all day?
3. I have much respect for the sea and it's creatures, please share with me what I must NEVER touch if I come across it in the reefs (ie: certain corals,sea snakes?,moray eels,are there dangerous sharks to watch for? I'm comfortable with nurse sharks, do sea turtle snap, bite, or attack? is it safe to feed the sea turtles marshmallows from my mouth? smile
Any info anyone might like to share with me concerning my neurotic issues of paranoia please feel free to reply.
In advance I want to Thank you forsharing your knowledge, neurosis, and experiences with us.
Thanx again,
JP & CK~

S
S
Please let me know when you will be feeding the sea turtles marshmallows from your mouth. I want a photo of that!!!

D
D
Touch nothing- feed nothing. It is very alive here because we don't do that like in other places. No one has ever been bit by a croc here unless they were holding it up by its tail.
They most dangerous creature in the sea is you.
We are surrounded by empty islands that we visit by windsurf. How far is too far ?

J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Dane writes: "We are surrounded by empty islands that we visit by windsurf. How far is too far ?"
Thanx for the reply Dane,
I just got my book by Moon publishing (via Amazon) "Belize Cayes" and have been doing more research on the cayes so I don't pester members too much in this forum.

Dane, in response to your question "how far is too far?"
I've been kayaking for several years - all recreational and rather easy paddling. I'm in my late 40's and not particularly muscular but I can paddle against 10-20 mph headwinds for a couple hours if my life depended on it. We were curious to know if maybe we need to anticipate long-haul paddling to get to nearby isles (might need to hit the gym more?!?!).
I've seen pic's (internet) of these isolated (deserted) isles of palm and sand amongst the reef systems and am curious about the physical demands necessitated to paddle out to them. I feel confidant we'll be able to handle paddling out to the nearest reef from CC, but are there isles nearby (near CC's reef) that we can paddle to, lunch, and snorkel from?, or do most kayaking-snorkelers just snorkel from a floating kayak?.
I understand, from research, that one can hire a boat to transport to a caye (or atoll)where kayak's are rented, but we want to rent from Caye Caulker and do all of our kayak-snorkeling from one location (business). I wonder just how far Chapel caye is from CC relative to the paddle to the reef from CC(?). I can't get any realistic idea from the guidebook maps. Are there closer isles (or cayes) than Chapel to CC?. Has anyone reading this post run across a string on this forum sharing kayak-snorkeling experiences and info.?
Thanx for your patience,I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet in CC smile

Last edited by Jeraldo; 01/05/10 04:47 AM.
Originally Posted by Jeraldo
Hello,
Newbies here with easy inquiry.
This is actually a multiple question inquiry. I've read a travel book from library on Belize Cayes, awaiting US mail for 2 Belize travel books, scoured the internet sites for info. on Cayes(have chosen Caulker), researched Caye Caulker lodging options(Hostels,Hotels,Cabanas,Lodges,Resorts,tent camping,etc...), we have a general idea about all our snorkeling options, restaurants, equip. rentals, etc... I've been reading the plethora of posts on this forum but have yet to find additional info I seek, which is as follows:
I'm visiting Caye Caulker this March and would like to learn more about Croc concerns I need to heed. Apparently, snorkeling in the mangroves is a common and enjoyable experience. Don't the Croc's inhabit mangroves? How can I be certain that I won't find myself snorkeling amongst Croc's?
Just where the heck on Caye Caulker are the Croc's?
(I'm scared to death of being eaten alive).
2. I know we can kayak out to the reef for snorkeling, but are
there any nearby isle's we can kayak out to (within reasonable distance) to spend our afternoons relaxing on a deserted (or at least semi-deserted) beach, one we can snorkel off of all day?
3. I have much respect for the sea and it's creatures, please share with me what I must NEVER touch if I come across it in the reefs (ie: certain corals,sea snakes?,moray eels,are there dangerous sharks to watch for? I'm comfortable with nurse sharks, do sea turtle snap, bite, or attack? is it safe to feed the sea turtles marshmallows from my mouth? smile
Any info anyone might like to share with me concerning my neurotic issues of paranoia please feel free to reply.
In advance I want to Thank you forsharing your knowledge, neurosis, and experiences with us.
Thanx again,
JP & CK~

Feeding sea turtles marshmellows from your mouth????? What the hell????

D
D
Perhaps you are thinking of deserted white sand palm tree islands like seen on postcards. We have those but they are deserted because they are far from civilisation. There are none you can paddle to from here or Pedro.Caye Chapel is close, maybe a mile, but it is mostly a golf course ringed by million dollar homes. We aren't welcome lately, I notice.
Many folks think that Chocolate rents the best kayaks.All those here seem to be the sit on type
Our islands are covered with thick impenetrable bush and are usually deserted because they have so many wet places and bugs, jungle style.There are deserted beaches on the edges to visit, though, at Hicks caye. I sailed there this morning.It is 8 miles away, in protected waters to the West.
You might check Google Earth. They call it Caye Corker by mistake.There are small white sand beaches- often deserted-south of the airstrip or north of the split, though some one might show up.I can show you where to look.my # is 226 0170.

J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanx for the info Dane, I'll hold onto the number for our March visit.
C&J~

I believe they were being sarcastic about the marshmellows and turtles!! Lighten up!

No Duh!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day