Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#364151 01/14/10 06:42 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I've read many of older posts on this subject, but I would like to know if there is any new advice and/or suggestions out there on the best way to call the U.S. from San Pedro, skype is not an option for us. Will probably be using a new blackberry. Comments...suggestions from those in the know ? In advance, positive comments and information will be much appreciated.

C
C
The cheapest and easiest way I know of to call the States is to walk into the internet cafes and use their phones. I've tried everything else.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, actually your response reminds me of something I left out of my initial post....thses are multiple calls each day and most of the time it will be later in the evenings when most places are closed, but thanks for your quick response.

S
S
All of the old posts are, unfortunately, still valid.

L
OP Offline
L
hhhmmm....thanks Simon, I will go from there then.

C
C
Just bear down and pay the $2+ per minute and make sure you have international roam and international calling.

You can rent a phone there and buy minutes for it. (It is like the old calling cards, but now they put the minutes right on your phone and you don't have to keep punching in the long code number.)

You can call the U.S. for 50 cents a minute, and I think that is BZ$ (so .25 U.S.).

I would definitely not use your blackberry. Any phone that has a data plan will cost you astronomical amounts of money in international roaming. My phone even warns me about it and has a feature that I can turn off to avoid it. Just check out one guy's post on a previous thread where he was welcomed by a $1500+ phone bill when he got home.

I can receive texts on my U.S. phone for free from the U.S. and it costs me .50 to send one from Belize. What I do is have folks in the U.S. text me for free when they need to talk to me and then I call them back on the Belize phone. Best way I have found for me so far.

You could try the 10-10-199 program.
Dial 10-10-199 - country code - area code - number

I believe that it only works from a BTL phone - you can stop in at the BTL office and ask about it or maybe somebody on this board can explain a bit?

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you all for your information. All this is quite helpful & I appreciate your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.