Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
i bought dc1000 from sea life...good to 200 ft...vidio and still photos...took some great shots on the reef a week or so ago

butch and shannon
Here's the rub with housings for digital cameras. You need to choose the camera first then buy a housing MADE for the camera.
I have a Nikon D70 and the Sea & Sea housing for it. All together I paid about $5,000.00. It weighs about 35 pounds on land but is neutrally buoyant in the water. I used it about five times and put it on the shelf. I was told, while in Bonaire at a shoot out this summer, that I could maybe get a couple of hundred dollars for the housing as the D70 is OUTDATED!
I would rather add it to my Nikonos III, IV and V with all their attended strobes, arms and connocters on my museum shelf than take a "few hundred dollars" for it.

Almost the same with my u/w video; Sony PC 120 with a Light & Motion Mako housing. The LCD screen went out after about 3 years. When I sent it in for repairs I was told they no longer make that model and did not stock parts for it. I love the camera and the housing and basically point and shoot and way too many times find that I have shot too high. AARGH! Of course, in Bonaire they told me it was "time to move up" pushing High Definition which means High dollar amount.

Unless you want to get into serious underwater photography get simple stuff.

Just remember, as was already said, GET CLOSE. If possible GET DOWN (below the critter) and SHOOT UP. Most of them are designed to blend in with their backgounds so you need to do the above in order to have them stand out. The other thing is that a strobe light will only carry five feet under water. Again, you need lots of sun light penetrating the water. All this takes either good buoyancy control (if you are on SCUBA) or good breath holding if you are free diving.

But, as I have said before, I have seen some incredible pictures taken by armatures with cheap outfits.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
Harriette - you still have the S500?

Yes, I do. and it takes great snorkel pictures but I desperately need a red filter for it for below 15'. I still take it on every dive and clip it to my video housing. It is very compact, neutrally buoyant and easy to handle.

I've done some interesting stuff, composition wise, and simply converted them to black and white.

Anyone know where I can get a red filter?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
M
M
I bought a Sanyo Xacti. Got it on ebay for around $200 new. Takes both video and pictures. It is good for around 10' deep- I think. They make several different models with different resolutions but this is a pretty cheap, fun camera. I also have a Sony digital camera (alot more expensive) that I leave at home now. Probably to a real serious photographer the Sanyo is a joke, but we have had a ball with it.

Mark

P
P
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Anyone know where I can get a red filter?

No, but I could do with one as well. Not for stills, as it's easy to adjust the colour bias in post-processing, but for when I shoot video.

Peter/Harriette
I love this video on fantaseas website showing the effect of a red filter

http://www.fantasea.com/s.nl/it.I/id.58/.f

Last edited by swanno; 01/18/10 05:24 PM.

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
I recently purchased a Canon underwater camera. It's good to 30 feet so you don't have to worry about how deep you go when snorkeling (most are to 10')
It can also be dropped from 5 feet (I've already done that) and is good to some incredibly low temperature so if you ski it'll work on the mountain. So far, I love it. Light is an issue and it's flash isn't as good as the scuba camera I once had, but for hauling around on the boat, snorkeling, etc. it works great. I studied a lot of reviews and the best "bullet proof" cameras were the olympus and the canon. Both are in the low US$300 range. I've ruined enough cameras it made sense to me.

beck #364510 01/18/10 07:16 PM
P
P
Thanks Colin, illustrates the effect quite well. As my compact camera housing (Canon's for a G10) doesn't have any provision for fitting a filter, I may see if I can get some red glass and make something up myself. Though how to get red optical-quality glass? And what shade to get?

Harriette, the obvious question has to be - why don't you use your Nikon setup underwater? The D70 may not be state-of-the-art, but it's still no mean camera and will give you excellent pictures. Lots of people still use them. And (the most important point this) you already own it! Were your lens problems resolved, so you again have usable lenses?

If you don't want to use it and it is usable, I can suggest someone who'd be only too happy to use it underwater for you!

I bought a little EcoShot camera with pics and video. Has sea setting (red filter) and zoom. Has flash for cloudy days. Easy to use and works just fine : )

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day