Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#364626 01/20/10 01:00 AM
CindyO Offline OP
OP Offline
Featured Belize. I've just started watching (DVR) and hopefully it will show the beneficial side of protecting indigenous species.

We watched this last night and had mixed emotions. 1) He's as dramatic as the old Crocodile Hunter, 2) He exaggerated the dangers of some of the animals but 3) did it all in the name of a good cause.

The thing that amused us most is that they implied (by their map) that Hol Chan and Shark & Ray Alley were right off of Belize City.

The Howler Monkey was darling - I thought they were a lot bigger than that.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Personally I thought the guy was an ass. Half his time was spent taunting animals into reaction. He tried to make himself comparable to Steve Irwin with the stingray comments, which he is not. Over dramatized Belize itself and made it sound like an animal slaughterhouse.

Researchers I used to work with on the mainland didn't think much of Steve Irwin's methods but respected him for what he accomplished. I bet they would throttle this guy if he got near them.

Originally Posted by SimonB
Personally I thought the guy was an ass. Half his time was spent taunting animals into reaction. He tried to make himself comparable to Steve Irwin with the stingray comments, which he is not. Over dramatized Belize itself and made it sound like an animal slaughterhouse.

Researchers I used to work with on the mainland didn't think much of Steve Irwin's methods but respected him for what he accomplished. I bet they would throttle this guy if he got near them.

Ditto Simon !

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Well, my 6 year old thought the show was totally awesome. And he has decided perhaps he doesn't want to go and live in the jungle.

CindyO Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree with all the above. Sure was not what I was expecting. But, at least he did stress the importance of research to combat infectious diseases in humans.

We watch a bunch of those shows, Bear Grylls, can't remember all the other guys' names - but they are all showmen. They exaggerate a lot - that's what sells the shows. If you take it for what it is - a bit of escapism mixed in with a little adventure, pro-ecology saving etc. the shows are fun.

Hummmm
I should try this, "Far from shore in the dark waters of the open ocean the water churned with hungry Nurse Sharks as the instructor and his students prepared to dive!"...hows that sound?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
oooh, I like the beginning.... go on. will this be a video blog.

The thing that bothered us most that while he was talking about animals having viruses he was handling them, collecting venom and drawing blood without ever wearing gloves.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 232 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.