Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
clover Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Green & Black's Chocolate is marketing organic chocolate named Maya Gold. The wrapper states this chocolate is from their project in Belize. It's delicious!

http://greenandblacks.com/us/from-bean-to-bar/Belize-project.html

P
P
Yes, but watch out. G&B was bought by Cadbury a couple of years ago, and now Cadbury is being bought by Kraft. Who knows what sort of brand marketing will be going on!

C
clover Offline OP
OP Offline
C
So you're telling me the G&B chocolate from Belize that I just consumed is actually being marketed by Cadbury? Then at some point in time it will be marketed by Kraft?
Peter- Who cares!! (it's still the same chocolate)

P
P
Originally Posted by clover
it's still the same chocolate

That's precisely the point. Many in the industry believe it will "evolve" to become like most of their other products. The founders of G&B have recently talked on the need to maintain its organic roots, clearly because they know the pressures the brand will be under.

But for the time being at least it is the same chocolate and it's delicious. Let's hope it remains so.

Just to back up my concerns, read http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-moves-fast-to-silence-the-doubters.html

Some excerpts from this long article:-

Another major concern about the deal is that Kraft will lose sight of the philanthropic principles upon which Cadbury was founded and purports to follow. The recent certification of Dairy Milk in the UK as Fair Trade and the future of the Green & Black's organic brand have been called into question.

Mr Osanloo [director of strategy at Kraft] says that many of the savings will not be related to jobs but to areas such as procurement streamlining and sourcing of commodities such as cocoa, dairy and sugar
[so they may wish to discontinue minor sources such as those used for G&B]

But:
Both times Green & Black's has been taken over, the buyer has had grand plans for change, Mr Sams said, such as adding non-organic bars to the range. Both times, that has not happened and it has not been for sentimental reasons.

Or you could switch to Kakaw chocolate which is made right here in San Pedro from organic fair-trade cacao beans grown in Punta Gorda. They have a great 70% dark chocolate and also make various bars/individual chocs with orange, ginger, pineapple and chilli!!

Cotton Tree Lodge in PG is also making there own and marketing it in Belize as well as Goss Chocolate in Placencia I believe.

JZB Offline
I have tried Cotton Tree, Goss and Kakaw. Kakaw is by far the superior Belize Chocolate! Cotton tree tasted like mud and Goss reminded me of candlewax, but thats just my humble opinion. smile

Yeah, I agree with that assessment JZB.

would one of you please begin the custom of being planeside dispensing Kakaw? Belize's response to Hawaiian leis smile

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
P
P
I agree with you JZB. But where is Kakaw available to buy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.