Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#364826 01/22/10 12:15 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone
I would love to set up a marine and equipment service shop on the island. I was told that there are not many places to get repair work done on the island. I would love to here your opinions on this thought, pros and cons. I have owned a marine dealership for over 15 years and I am also capable of all sorts of small engine repair. I would also have to find a place to set up a shop on or near water. Thanks in Advance Lou

Lou in PA #364858 01/22/10 06:18 PM
F
F
There are MANY marine repair shops on the island (probably more thatn are needed) and the probability of you getting a license would likely be non existent.

Freezer #365116 01/26/10 08:41 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Can you get a business license if you live there? I am hoping to come down in late spring to look at property in hopes to move down for good. I would be looking for property that I could continue doing repair work and would also have a residence. I am currently in the process of selling my company here in PA and unfortunatly will still need to have some income. I absolutly love Belize and could not think of a better place to continue my career. You said there were many repair shops, what types of services do they offer? Once again any info would be greatly appreciated. Lou

Lou in PA #365127 01/26/10 09:45 AM
Lou, this board is full of "full time Belize" wannabes. I share your dream.

Having said that, the reason most of us still live in the US or elsewhere is that we can't figure out a way to live there prior to being fully retired.

If moving there and making ends meet from an income stand point weren't so difficult then we'd all be there now instead of sitting at our computers wishing we were there.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just pointing out a couple of facts that may not be as obvious to you as they should be.

Cost of living on AC is relatively high. Chances of securing adequate income to support your needs are relatively low.

As I see it there are two types of pre-retirement expats living on AC. One type lives in relative poverty in exchange for living there and scrape by as best they can. The other type live on income that they have already established back home or have been lucky enough to inherit.

I'm sure there are a few success stories on the island where someone has moved there with nothing or little money and built a successful sustaining business but I'd bet that success rate is very low for expats.

I am still holding on to my dream of moving there and working for a fee and not just for free also. Maybe one day my dream will become reality, but unfortunately for me it won't be soon.

Good luck! I hope you succeed and help pave the way for more of us to succeed as well.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Belize-N-Us #365132 01/26/10 10:34 AM
Yes Lou you can get a work permit/ business license to work. Whether or not you can make a living is always an unknown until you get here and gauge the potential market.

Amanda Syme #365137 01/26/10 10:55 AM
Lou, you should really consider taking a leave of absence or some such as a sabbatical and come down to Belize and live for a couple of months (with or without working) and see how you like it. I personally am in a position where although I have full time residency (QRP) and fortunately could afford to live there full time I don't think I could do it. It is a lovely place with lovely people but I think living here full time is not something you should jump into without trying it for a couple of months first. Even break it into two month long trips - but try it first.

Captain One Iron
CaptOneIron #365138 01/26/10 11:23 AM
S
S
I agree with Martin...Lou, you CAN get a permit to work without much of a problem, and you CaN set up a business to repair marine engines, especially if you are able to bring the software to diagnose Etec, Suzuki, and other computer driven powerheads. There is a need for a qualified diagnostician that actually lives on the island. As it stands now, an owner of a computer driven engine has to fly the tech out just to check the program, this gets expensive quickly.

The key is to make sure that you can adapt to the special society that exists here on Ambergris Caye. I come and go quite a bit, but would be able to stay put easily...hopefully you will find your niche.

Stilromin #365143 01/26/10 11:47 AM
LOU ,come on down this is a island ,it is growing every day more and more boat engines will need a real deal shop .if you ran a shop for 15 years you know whats up .check it out first !!!!!A sharp entrepreneur,with money not scared money will have a shot .but all the above coments make good business sense.

Stilromin is on the money !!!!! SEE IF THE JUICE IS WORTH THE SQUEZZE

YOU NEED TO BE LIKE THE GAINT SEA TURTTLE IF YOUR GOING ANYWHERE YOU GOT TO STICK YOUR NECK OUT ..
GOOD LUCK .

Living The Dream Every Day!
captjeff #365144 01/26/10 11:54 AM
On that same note, how good are the car dealers or ind. repair shops in Belize City at diagnostics on late model cars?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
champion #365188 01/26/10 06:38 PM
Good shops are few and far between. Very small amount with computers and even fewer who know how to use them properly. But there are tons who say they know and can do it all. Same with marine mechanics.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.