Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#365203 01/26/10 10:52 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Whilst I have enjoyed my stay in AC, I am now looking to leave and continue traveling. I had hoped to continue traveling through Central America, and found the TICA bus a great and inexpensive "open ticket" option for getting from Guatemala right through to Panama (at the amazing price of just over $200)!!

However, being in AC it seems the cost to actually leave here and get to Guatemala City is ridiculous. By air this journey alone would cost around $200.

Has anyone any other suggestions, or experience traveling by land into Guatemala?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."
Take a look here, i have never done the trip by bus but, I know a lot of people have and they said it was a good cheap way to get to Guatemala city.

http://www.guidetobelize.info/en/travel/belize-bus-timetable-route-guide.shtml

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Tracker #365209 01/27/10 09:00 AM
L
L
http://www.belizenet.com/requena

I just found out about this on my recent stay in PG. This website is for the ferry that leaves from Punta Gorda to Guatamala. Inexpensive and a quick 2 hour ride.

M
M
WildThing,

There are a couple of cheaper options.

1. Water taxi to Belize City, then get one of the express buses to Flores, Guatemala.

2. Fly or bus down to Punta Gorda, and get one of the water taxis to Puerto Barrios, Guatemala.

You'll find all the schedules and fares on my site:
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the info! I have emailed Requena to find out their schedule and fares from PG to Puerto Barrios. I just need to find out about bus transportation from Puerto Barrios to Guatemala City to see if this is a good option for picking up the TICA bus there.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."
W
OP Offline
W
The Requena water taxi fare from PG to Puerto Barrios is $20. I have just been trying to search for a water taxi option and cost to get from San Pedro to PG......

Can anyone help me out on this one please? Still haven't managed to find anything yet.

only way is via air or bus, as mentioned previously.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
klcman #365301 01/27/10 08:27 PM
M
M
WildThing,

Did you look at the BelizeBus site?

It has links to all the schedules & fares for a water taxi to Belize City, then a James bus to PG. I'd suggest an express bus if possible.

L
L
WT, when I am in Belize on vacation, time is money, so I usually fly to get places quicker. But a couple of months ago, I took the Express bus from PG to Placenica, $5 U.S., 1-1/2 hour ride and beautiful scenery along the way. If you have the time, take the bus from Belize City. If you want to get to PG quicker, fly out of Municipal, it is a bit cheaper, but there are 2 pretty quick stops on Tropic in Dangriga and Placencia on the way.

Don't know if you have yet been to Panama, but I took 2 trips there - loved it. Make sure you get to Bocas on the Caribbean side, the Pearl Islands on the Pacific side and definitely wander around Casco Viejo (old town Panama City). You will love it!

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks - I have found the schedule for the James bus that runs from Belize City to PG. Dated August 2009 - so not sure how accurate it is, and at a cost of BZ$24......seems extremely cheap!! I have read other information about the buses in Belize, most of it saying that these buses are old, and not air-conditioned.

LaurieMar - how did you find the Express bus that you took? I guess my concern is that doing nearly 5 hours on a bus (which is the schedule to PG) on a 'chicken' bus could be unbearable! I traveled from Cancun by ADO and their bus was amazingly comfortable, and in fact far exceeded the comfort of Greyhound!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.