Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#365336 01/28/10 09:11 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

One golf cart rental on the island finds itself short of one golf cart, as the San Pedro Fire Department reports that at about 1:50a.m. on Monday, January 25, a cart belonging to Island Adventures suddenly burst into flames in front of Grand Colony Island Villas, south of San Pedro Town.

Fire Chief explains that the residents who rented the golf cart were caught by surprise when they noticed the cart seat getting warm. Upon making checks on the vehicle, it suddenly burst into flames. The fire completely consumed the golf cart reducing it to just its metal chassis; everything else, including the roof and body was burnt down to a pile of plastic goo. There were no reported injuries.

Photos provided by Reporter Martin ZhiGang Ye.

Ambergris Today

W
W
Well I have to say seeing the condition of some of these carts, I am not at all surprised to hear of one just bursting into flames!!

I guess there is no 'golf cart MOT' on AC? I can understand personally owned carts falling into disrepair - but I have been astounded to see many rental carts in very poor repair with bald tyres.

Guess lucky they got away with just warm arses!!!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."
JZB Offline
Some people pay good money for seat warmers! smile

I notice they haven't updated their license plate! tsk tsk

I had this problem - twice - both times someone noticed smoke coming from under the back (middle of cart) seat. When the seat was lifted flames shot up. Bystanders put out the fire. Both times it was a case of a wire bouncing up into the coil.

These roads are deadly. AND - YES - I know that golf carts are made for golf courses - but the reality is that is what we have here. Even the parts of the beach that used to be restricted to golf carts and bicycles now have heavy vehicles and the beach is a rutted and rough as the road.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
The bottom line is that golf carts are really quite unsuitable for the use they're put to here, and the environment they have to operate in.

Peter you are so right. This is an opening for a company to resolve this and create something new just like the planes. If not mistaken, the planes that Tropic and Maya use were first developed for use in Belize or so I was told. The luggage belly pan for one.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Actually FED X is responsible for Cessna developing the Caravan and the Grand Caravan.

Reality..What a concept!
Ok on that, but it still seems that an enterprizing company could make something more usefull and reliable.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Polaris, Yamaha, Honda all make suitable vehicles. No one likes them on the island however because they go too fast.

P
P
And why on earth (or should I say on Ambergris Caye) are they so expensive? I can buy a good upmarket used car in England for what one of these dreadful things costs here, and that would survive the environment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.