Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Or anyone else for that matter.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
D
D
Originally Posted by krehfish
I like that: "Belikin, where there's more bottle than beer"

They would definitely leave a mark if used as a weapon.....

On anything other than my liver laugh

B
B
Wild Thing, Most of us that live here or travel here on a regular basis are doing all we can to keep San Pedro from becoming Mexico. If cheap is what you want, Cancun is it. They have nice beaches, cheap hotels, cheap flights and Starbucks, McDonalds, Wal Mart, Senor Frogs and all the suburban American idiots who like that kind of stuff. I hope SP never becomes " cheap."

F
F
I live in Canada (in British Columbia) and our last flights were $1540.00 to Belize City. At that time this equated to around $1,485.00 US. It was extremely difficult to reconcile this when a seat sale from Edmonton Alberta to Cancun was $289.00 RETURN!

Also...I have heard from many different people that one of the reasons that the tickets too Mexico are so reasonable is that they are subsidized by the government. I have no idea if this is true or not but I have heard it from so many people (including an employee of the British Columbia board of tourism) that I am starting to believe it!

Anyone else hear of anything like that?

P.S. We are still comming to Ambergris Caye but I think we will start to look else where. The difference in ticket pricing could force a change.

Originally Posted by Freezer
I live in Canada (in British Columbia) and our last flights were $1540.00 to Belize City. At that time this equated to around $1,485.00 US. It was extremely difficult to reconcile this when a seat sale from Edmonton Alberta to Cancun was $289.00 RETURN!

Also...I have heard from many different people that one of the reasons that the tickets too Mexico are so reasonable is that they are subsidized by the government. I have no idea if this is true or not but I have heard it from so many people (including an employee of the British Columbia board of tourism) that I am starting to believe it!

Anyone else hear of anything like that?

P.S. We are still comming to Ambergris Caye but I think we will start to look else where. The difference in ticket pricing could force a change.

Of course we will all start to look elsewhere unless you are software John. Its a recession depression out there.

Last edited by champion; 01/29/10 05:48 PM.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
W
W
Originally Posted by Big Mike
Wild Thing, Most of us that live here or travel here on a regular basis are doing all we can to keep San Pedro from becoming Mexico. If cheap is what you want, Cancun is it. They have nice beaches, cheap hotels, cheap flights and Starbucks, McDonalds, Wal Mart, Senor Frogs and all the suburban American idiots who like that kind of stuff. I hope SP never becomes " cheap."

Mike: I cannot see that SP will ever become Cancun. Belize is a third world country, many people still live in third world standards. In fact, many of the locals in AC still live in third world standards, albeit adjacent to luxurious resorts catering to "surburban American idiots" (many of which are owned by Americans). I came to AC because I wanted away from capitalism and American Imperialism.....only to find it has already reached here in many ways!! Okay so there is no Walmart or Domino's pizza........but Western cultural imperialism most definitely is.

Although it is not what I want - I think many local businesses and local traders pray for more "suburban American idiots" as these are the bread and butter of their livelihood.

I found Cancun obnoxious, far too commercialized, and would not have described it as "cheap".......but you can comparatively get value for money. But there are many other parts of Mexico that offer beautiful beaches, affordable accommodation and it IS "cheap" to get there compared to Belize.

As Freezer pointed out - if the Mexican government can subsidize airfares, why can't the Belize government? Why is the government also allowing more Americans here to run businesses, rather than trying to support local businesses?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."
E
E
Well Wildthang, I sure hope you find wut yer lookin for, the good old U S of A does not need you here or your type.

Try Iran.

W
W
Ernie:

This is Belize, not the "good old U S of A", and I do not think you have the authority to speak for Belize......but there again that IS what Americans are good for isn't it? Deciding what is best for other countries!!? YOUR type, (and that has nothing to do with Americans) but more an IMPERIALIST attitude, and jumping right in and making statements without reading information, are exactly what makes the world a sad and dangerous place these days! I am guessing you ARE American......and guess what I also think Americans who make statements such as "Try Iran" are what causes many people (even Americans) to be embarrassed about their patriotism.

If you ACTUALLY read the thread here properly, you would have realized that Big Mike quoted "surburban American idiots", and my inference was to question his categorization of Americans as "idiots".....hence the quote marks in my post.

Do you even know what cultural imperialism is?????

Sorry Ernie - but your response was a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of words without really reading what is being said, or questioned here!

Last edited by WildThing; 01/29/10 07:54 PM.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world shall know peace."
W
W
Wild Thing I do live here and I thank God for people like you who live here for 2 months and have it all figured out.

W
W
Originally Posted by WildThing
I will concur that I have not witnessed March here yet, and do realise that the Easter break is the first real family vacation following Christmas.

I have found some good value in AC, and buying fresh chicken, shrimp and fresh produce, and cooking myself.....and this is terrific value!

This island is SOO beautiful (in most parts) and I just find it quite sad that it could lose it's unique paradise appeal if getting here, and truly spending time here, becomes too expensive for most (in the current economic climate).

I personally think that the government of Belize should be doing more. Everything seems to be taxed here! A legacy of British rule I suppose......and I say that being British ;-p

I wish I had figured it all out.........

I commented that I "personally" think the government should be doing more to help Belize combat the 'recession depression'. As someone new to AC I am sharing my views and thoughts, and asking questions. I may only have been here a short while, but I too, have fallen for many of AC's great features and assets and enjoy 'island life'......otherwise I would not still be here.

One of the things I like most about AC is just how friendly everyone is, I have not been in a place where so many people smile all the time.

It is such a shame that some folks here take certain comments out of context, and resort to making petty negative statements, rather than engaging with a thread posed to interrogate serious questions about the impact of the global recession and governmental politics!!

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.