Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
I haven't been there, and was just going on what I once read somewhere. it didn't refer to the whole beach of course, but to some part of it. Glad to find it's not so.

Belize has great beaches. Not huge wide ones like Aruba or California but nice, sandy ones next to shallow, beautiful water. In Belize it's more about what is in & under the water, than about the sand and lounge chairs.

i can't think of any section of beach on the peninsula that is 'artificial', east coast side.
now filling in the lagoon to make land is a whole nuther bitch.

Caye Caulker brought in sand a few years ago, maybe 2001?, in a beach reclamation project, but like Barnacle Bill who should know since he lives there, I'm not aware of any human-assisted beaches on the Caribbean side of the Placencia peninsula.

I do like the whiter coral sand of the northern cayes. The beaches at Maya Beach, while they're khaki-coloured, are very nice, the best on the peninsula, with softer sand than in Placencia village. Placencia village sand is hard on the feet.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
W
W
Are you serious PHIL??? Where do you see anyone swimming on Caye Caulker other than the Split?? And even there the water table has risen. What I was saying was........DUH.....if you want beaches go where there is 'beach' but I have lived there off and on since 1997 and I don't think anyone would disagree with me. Snorkeling at the reef....YES!! And the island is beautiful in many ways....especially the people. Do you see any locals swimming anywhere other than the Split?? But it's great there. No problem to swim there. I was just there this winter and i am not 'blind' by the way. Just being real. Don't fool tourists into thinking this is a Caribbean island with long, white, sandy beaches. Ok?

P
P
Yes I am. The comments were about beaches not just swimming. The Water Table has nothing to do with the sea as it's to do with fresh water levels.....but feel free to try and look clever and DUH me!!!!!

You obviously are blind because long white sandy beaches with stunning water colors is exactly what it does have. Sure, they're not wide, not with deep water, seagrass in most places up to the shallows, lots of docks - but it's closer than complete inaccuracies like " doesn't have any" "Do you see any locals swimming anywhere other than the Split" (yes all the time, tourists too), "Don't fool tourists into thinking this is a Caribbean island with long, white, sandy beaches" (it has, and is, all of these).

So I do take exception with just about everything you have written.

S
S
I have been to Caye Caulker 2 times on day trips - and both times I noted - the cut gets packed (well maybe not packed) with people - and it was fun to hang at the bar - and that the "front" street had lots of people selling lots of stuff including bbq that looked and smelled good! I ate at the happy lobster and some pizza place - and had ice cream - everything was good - esp. the happy lobster. I did notice people selling fruit on the street but not fish or meat - only cooked fish. I am sure you will have a great time.

SeeShell (p.s. I will be in San Pedro in April day tripping to Caye Caulker)

R
ron Offline
R
There are several grocery stores in CC all of them sell meat and deli meats all frozen. There is also a small meat and fish market right off front street. Fish you can often ask a fisherman whether they have any fish for sale. There isn't a fish market where the fisherman sell their catch. The grocery stores all carry most basic items (cooking oil, olive oil, cereal, milk, coffee, eggs, etc). There is a bakery on middle street. There are also several vegetables stands as well as veg's at the grocery stores. All the fresh produce is fresh and is whatever is in season. It all get barged in from the main island. The chicken barge comes a couple times a week just as it does in SP.

Over the last 24 years I have driven (OK,left from Belize City), sailed and motor-boated from San Pedro to Placencia (and often on to PG) always stopping in Caye Caulker which is now my second home. Each island, each village is different. All are charming, all are interesting, and all are full of great people and wonderful adventure - (as well as a few jerks, so always be careful out there; just like anywhere else)

The serendipity lies in not expecting but welcoming, not judging but experiencing. The cafe that is out of eggs but trades some with a sailboat for a freebreakfast (Placencia), the lobster someone brings to you as gift for a prior favor (CC) or the midnight dance to drums under a full moon (CC and SP) - these are all things that you won't experience unless you get up and go. Enjoy Belize, she is here waiting for you!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 115 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day