Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36739 03/28/01 12:15 AM
K
kwh2o Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Looking for some sun and downtime from the eastcoast snows and ratrace. Planning snorkeling, seakayaking, Maya ruin trip...anyone have any "must see" items I should add, those I should avoid? Not looking for that "Temptation Island" type of trip, in fact, taking this one solo, but wouldn't mind meeting new people...places to go? Thanks to all of you for the packing tips!

#36740 03/29/01 10:37 AM
J
J
I am also traveling to belize in august-solo but i am having very hard time finding a not so expensive place to stay the flight is goint to cost enough,so inexpensive lodging would be nice any ideas on whom to contact or where to stay

#36741 04/01/01 12:38 AM
K
kwh2o Offline OP
OP Offline
K
jackieo

I found great airfare through www.hotwire.com. You need to be flexible about your departure and arrival times, however. I checked airfare through several places recommended through the site and other posters, even cheaptickets.com, but this was far less expensive and, it's on a major airline. I'll let you know how the hotels I chose pan out. The people sure seem helpful on the phone and via emails!
Have a great trip!

#36742 04/01/01 09:19 AM
J
J
kwh2o,
thanks for the air tips, when are you going?I think I will stay either at banana beach or coconuts, the only charge for the room no single supplement and there prices are very good. Tim at Banana Beach is very helpful.

#36743 04/01/01 10:22 PM
From what I've been reading, Hol Chan Shark/Ray Snorkel is a MUST...just my 2 cents
17 days and counting...road rage is setting in...I need a break from DC

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#36744 04/02/01 01:46 PM
A
A
Hi kwh20!!

I just returned from 8 amazing days on AC yesterday. I hope to post some details about my trip later but I wanted to give you a quick rundown, as I also traveled solo on a budget.

I stayed at Ruby's for 17US a night and was very impressed. My room was small but always clean and replenished with fresh towels and sheets every morning. I stayed on the street side so it was a bit noisy (locals coming for breakfast at 6am everyday!) but I grew to appreciate the activity. The view from the hotel deck is wonderful!! The coolest people I met were the ones staying at Rubies-lots of fishermen and backpack type travelers.

I met friends within the first hour I was there and hung out with them most of the week; meeting people there is very easy! I felt alittle awkward sometimes being by myself, especially when others were out in such large groups, but I was never totally bored. When I felt lonely, I sat at Fido's for a drink or swung on my hammock at Rubies (if you can get to it before the late night security guard).

I went on a limited budget but found that my money went pretty far and I was able to do all of the things I had hoped to do. Hol Chan tour is a must, it was cheap and a fun way to spend a morning. No need to go for a day trip- 2 or 3 hrs. is plenty. Caye Culker (a neighboring island) is a fun day trip as well. I also did the Altun Ha trip with Searious Tours and had a blast. It was much cheaper than the Lamanai Mayan Ruin tour and very impressive. You see a lot of interesting things on the bus trip through the jungle. I was not into walking around ruins for hours so this condensed tour was perfect. The day also included a stop at the Maruba day spa for lunch and swimming (or a spa treatment if you have the money to indulge). This place is beautiful!! Try the viper shots if you dare! I rented a bike and went north to Captain Morgan's Resort one day(eat before you go b/c food is expensive up there). I swam in the pool at the resort because I did not find the water to be as pretty as San Pedro town. Still a great way to spend an afternoon. Rent a bike at Joe's on Middle St. for 12 bucks or so. I spent most of my days lounging on the beach or swimming off the end of the pier (the pier at Paradise is one of the better ones for swimming). THe most indulgent meal I had was 20BZ but many of my meals never cost more than 6 American- if you look around! The street vendors sell good food late at night for very cheap and I never once got sick eating their cart food! My friends were addicted to their hot dogs. Rubies has yummy coconut tarts for 1BZ and their coffee is good (get used to drinking it black though). Cannibals has great breakfast that is reasonably priced. If you are looking for a dirt cheap but delicious meal head up to Papi's Diner-- so good!!!! Drinks were also reasonable and I drank many many panty rippers (coconut rum with pinapple juice and a cherry!). I did not hot many of the placed recommended on this board but I don't feel I missed anything-- there is so much to do!

If you are a female traveling alone, I assure you that you are safe and will feel very comfortable. For the most part I didn't have any problems. My only complaint is that there were A LOT of tourists!! I'd go in the off season next time, but will definitely return.

Well, I wound up getting into more detail that I thought I would but I am really positive about the experience I had there. I have an amazing tan and some wonderful memories. I too left the east coast to escape the rat race and found AC the most wonderful getaway I've ever had!

Try to get into Ruby's if you can. Have a great time!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.