Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Another question regarding the reef swim. What is the average depth (or topography) of the sea (surface to floor) from beach to reef? Does it vary much dependent upon the location of beach from which one chooses to commence a reef swim? If I were to map-out a "shortest-distance" point-to-point, would I be in the ballpark to assume 90% of the swim would be in surf over my head (6 ft.)?. I ask because if most of the reef swim is in shoulder-shallow surf I'll consider not packing fins. I'd like to pack as little as possible, maybe I could rent fins (?). Also, regarding the kayak anchor inquiry, where can I rent a concrete block?
I slay myself sometimes : )

Thanx again for all the super advice, anxious to check out this intriguing place!
J&C~

//ambergriscaye.com/fieldguide/transecta.html

D
D
Interesting drawing Marty.thanks.
As it shows, the swim to the reef is in 5-12 ft of water. We don't stand on the bottom very much because it is very alive and can bite.There are no waves at all on the way, just some one ft. chop on a windy day. The water is warm -around 80+F- and often very clear. You can easily get fins here.I would bring them on that swim since you plan to snorkel a little and fins are the best way to move along slowly without scaring the sea life. It is a safety device for kayaking where there is no Coast Guard except us.It would be nice to sit down when you are here.

P
P
You can rent everything you need. All except the concrete block, which you'll have to bring with you. grin

We have installed 4 buoys at the reef so kayaks don't have to drop anchors.
http://sanpedrosun.blogspot.com/2009_10_25_archive.html
We put them in about 5 to 6 feet of depth in sweet spots just inside the reef far away from the currents of the cuts.
frankly i feel like tourist on the reef with out a guide are Bulls in the china shop, but its not something i can change so what we do is try and help them impact it less.
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/search/label/Buoy%20Placements%202009

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
Those buoys are a great piece of community service. I applaud you for protecting the reef there in San Pedro.
If the poster is still planning on swimming in Caye Caulker there will be only buoys to tie to in the Nature Reserve and that would require a ticket. There is often a ranger enforcing this. Pulling a kayak with you as suggested is easier than it seems.This was done by fishermen here for many years so they had a place to put the catch without a catch bag on their waist.A lot of them used one fin and dolphin kick to sneak around the reef without scaring off fish.

J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
WOW!!! you people have been super with comprehensive advice and direction, something I'm not accustomed to when researching my next vacation adventure. You've as well demonstrated a saints proclivity for patience with my ineptitude of the Caye (Caulker), God bless you all. But, (you saw that coming 100,000 leagues afar didn't ya') I have another quickie inquiry ~ and here it is:
as mentioned earlier, we're traveling to CC this March and aren't completely secure with our travel plans as of yet. Can anyone suggest the most economical option from the following 2 choices:
The static variable is: We're travelling by bus from Cancun to Chetumal.

Once we arrive in Chetumal, we can either;
1. take a boat to Ambergris Caye (because we don't know if one
exists to take us to Caye Caulker, right???.
Then take a boat to Caye Caulker from San Pedro (Ambergris).
---OR----
2. take a bus from Chetumal to Belize city, then a boat to Caye Caulker.
I'm not terribly concerned about which option is quicker, just want to keep to a conservative daily budget of $50-$75/day (over our first 2 days entering Belize - and
our last 2 days departing). We prefer to compromise said budget (if necessary) whilst at Caye Caulker, and not amidst said transit. I sure hope that made a modicum of sense!
Thank you in advance for any assistance you might provide.
Jerry and Connie~

J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Question for Marty~
Hey Marty, that's one impressive schematic of the geo-topography of the surf off of Ambergris, Connie and I especially enjoyed the field guide, would like to get our hands on it in color. I suspect I may have misrepresented our (geographical) intentions though, god bless you none-the-less! We'll be spending our time on Caye Caulker, and unless I misread the surf map (I'm not the sharpest hammer in the bag) I think that (transecta.html) is a topo of the surf off of the Ambergris Caye (?), If I'm mistaken - please forgive me. I suspect that the topography of the Ambergris Caye to the reef is likely similar to the topo of CC to the reef (?). I wonder if any of this obcession of mine with CC will actually matter once I get a couple rum drinks and Belikans (is that right spelling?) in me, probably not. I suppose I should just relax, allow things to evolve on their own upon our arrival, and make the best of our CC visit.
In concluding this inquiry - I find myself resisting an urge to ask a dozen more questions, just can't come up with an approach clever enough to mask my insatiable obcession to learn more about the Caye, and I appologize in advance for exhausting you all with my endless inquisitions (not sure if that's the right word to use, but what the heck).
Thanx again gang,
Luego~

J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OOOOPS!
I appologize for inadvertantly posting a topic regarding travel options regarding "transport from Chetumal to Caye Caulker" (2 post's back), please forgive my error.

Thank you all!
Jerry~

J
Jeraldo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
With regards to swimming to the reef from a beach point on Caye Caulker (alongside girlfriend in kayak), does anyone have a suggested route for me to consider before our arrival to CC?. I'd like to swim to the reef daily, but don't want to inadvertantly find myself swimming a route which might cause harm to myself; swimming over a shallow coral system, or to possibly disturb a field of delicate surf plantlife. What might be the best route, from a point on the beach of CC, to take to reach the reef (via kayak and swimmer) for some snorkeling? I've just watched the Caye Caulker video "Exploring Horizons" (Caribbean Soul) and understand that the reef channels (breaks in the reef) might be the best locations to spend time snorkeling (?).
Ultimately, we'd like to think we can paddle, or swim-pull a kayak out to the reef without disturbing any of the plantlife enroute, is that even possible? I have Google-earth on my PC and can plan a route (from a suggested point on Caye Caulker's east beach) if anyone might suggest one. In advance I Thank you for any input offered. I wonder if swimming straight out from the split might be the best approach, just not sure(?).
Thanx so much,
Jerry and Connie~

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day