Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
i dont see any fires anywhere--anyone have a clue whats up?

B
OP Offline
B
i guess only me, gideon and every dog in town felt it(they all barked for ten minutes)

P
P
Too many beans.....

S
S
Space shuttle flew overhead and broke the sound barrier.

We also heard it and ran outside to see if something blew up. I called around and was told it was the space shuttle. It might have been a tough bump for somebody with PTSS.

JZB Offline
I also heard it around 9:15 and went outside to check it out.

It was the space shuttle returning to earth - safe and sound. Sonic Boom!

i am SOOOOO disappointed i missed this!

Many residents on Ambergris Caye may have heard a loud boom and some even claim seeing a bright flash of light across the skies on Sunday night, a little after 9:00pm. Reports indicate that it may have been the sound made by the Space Shuttle Endeavor as it made its way down over the Yucatan Peninsula to the Kennedy Space Center. Read more...

An image of the path of the Endeavor

The space shuttle Endeavour and its six astronauts returned safely to Earth late last night as it made a rare night time landing at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, ending its successful two-week mission.
But to most of us who did not know about the space shuttle landing the event was quite a scare as we were startled to hear the loud sonic boom. Residents who witnessed the 'deorbit burn' thought that two planes had collided in mid air and crashed north of Ambergris Caye. Eye witnesses tell Ambergris Today that they saw this plane-like structure engulfed in flames, burning across the sky, moving northward with a long burning tail behind it. Shortly after, the loud sonic boom was heard over San Pedro Town and some residents even reported their house shaking.
Facebook and Twitter posts confirmed that most of Belize heard the shuttle's re-entry overhead that took place at around 9:30p.m. The sonic boom from the space shuttle was heard as the orbiter re-enters the planet's atmosphere travelling faster than the speed of sound. Because the shuttle's landing flight path takes it over Central America, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Naples area as it cuts across the Florida peninsula en route to Cape Canaveral, Belize residents were able to hear the sonic boom - two distinct claps less than a second apart - about 10 minutes before the shuttle's scheduled landing time. It was quite a spectacle to those who were outdoors and able to witness it.

Ambergris Today

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.