Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#368268 02/21/10 05:26 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
A Tamandua or Collared Anteater is laying on the ground at behind Journeys End, I'm sure he could use some medical assistance. Saga is closed and I'm not sure they would be interested anyway. i feel for the guy, no cuts but he seems to prefer to lay with his eyes closed and wont move unless touched.
This guy has a huge set of claws and i'm frankly a little afraid of what he could do to me if i try and move him to the vet.
Has Saga got an emergency #?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
Call Peter 226 3825, maybe he and Lori will come up.

P
P
Call Peter 226 3825, maybe he and Lori will come up.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I think he has had a run in with some dogs , probably last night. dog tracks and churned up sand like a fight took place. poor guy. no blood but hes not walking.
Cute has hell critter!

Last edited by elbert; 02/21/10 05:41 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
Be very careful they can do severe damage with those claws they rear up on 2 legs spread there arms and use the claws as defense

So be very careful if you handle it

R
R
Anteaters are very easy to handle. Just take a towel and throw it over the animal. Then wrap it up and you will be able to lift it up. If it is injured it may very well like to have a drink of water, and be moved to somewhere quiet.
Don't worry too much about those claws. They look threatening but they are not razor sharp. They hurt most when they close them on your skin in a sort of closing penknife manner and the tip can pierce the skin or give you a painful pinch. Apart from that they have no teeth and rely on producing a bad smell.
I cared for one for several months until it could be released a week ago. They are very difficult to keep as they are natural haemophiliacs and will often bleed to death internally if they don't get Vitamin K.
If this critter is still alive they will sometimes eat rotten fruit such as banana and oranges. Apart from that they go for termites nests with the white or orange termites. They have brief goes at the big black termites but quickly give up. Same for Army Ants and Fire Ants. They won't touch leaf cutters.
Hope you managed to get some help for this critter....

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Good information,Thanks
This guy didn't make it through the night but I'll have the confidence to handle the next one and transport it to a vet.
I cant get over how alien they seem. The mouth at the end of the snout like like the end of an elephant trunk.
I found this on line about them.
//ambergriscaye.com/critters/tamandua.html
I took photos but the photos aren't cheerful.
I'll wait to find one in the wild having dinner on some Ambergris Termites .

White Sands Dive Shop
The San Pedro Animal Hospital has a full time vet - Dr. Lori Droke. You can call her at 610 DOGS which is 610 3647

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes i talked to her last night.
Nice to have some one like that on the island.

White Sands Dive Shop

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.