Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#368404 02/22/10 04:26 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

There will be a meeting sponsored by the SP Tour Guides Association
on Thursday, Feb 25th at the Lions' Den at 7:00pm

Coastal Zone Management will be there with information on the licenses.

There has been quite a bit of confusion about these new rules. Let's all attend so we can fish peacefully.

Thanks
Julie, SP BTIA rep

Marty #368792 02/26/10 09:34 AM
I attended the meeting last night. What a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT! The representative from the CMZ was insulting by the way he made light and attempted humor of a serious situation. He stated that the law stands as written and if anyone is engaged in fishing or on a boat capable of fishing, they need a $20 license.
There were many comments about the unfairness and difficulties in attempting to abide by the law as written. He did say that they were giving consideration to exemptions in areas where the law is unfair as in not requiring the captain of the boat to have the license, children on board and possibly exemptions for older people. But as the law stands, everyone is required to purchase a license.
This law needs to be repealed and reconsidered taking into consideration the inequities to the Belizean people and the negative effect it will have on adding an additional cost to an already expensive fishing destination.
The CMZ representative incorrectly stated that the cost of the license was in line with other destinations. That is wrong. For example, three of the competing countries for the salt water fisherman, Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico, all have lower fees by more than half. Panama has no fee. Costa Rica is $24US for a year and Mexico is less than the proposed Belize fee. These numbers are based on the cost of an annual license. If you compare on a daily basis, Belize is even far more at a disadvantage.
This law, if allowed to stand, will definitely reduce the number of tourists who will fish in Belize or the number of times they will fish while here. Take into consideration, if a tourist elects not to fish for a day, the GOB looses $20. A fishing guides looses five or six hundred dollars. This is at a time when the people of Belize need all the work they can get.
This is irresponsible on the Government's part, and just another example of it's continuing to destroy the economy along with allowing the destruction of the environment, specifically the marine ecosystem, by allowing the uncontrolled development and "manufacturing" of land by mangrove removal and dredging.

bywarren #368805 02/26/10 10:53 AM
This is for sure Irresponsible,and not thought out , This is just some Few people in the goverment trying to get more money in there own pockets ..I see cash cow to feed there friends and buddys .For me the fee is not a problem I Will buy A year pass unfair as it is !! As I am A guest in this country and will live by there rules ..However it will have big problems for the tourist industry..All ready hurt with the CRIME SCARES in the city .AND HIGH AIRFARE . WE WILL SEE HOW THIS WORKS OUT !!!!
THIS IS JUST PLAN SILLY and not thought out..

Living The Dream Every Day!
bywarren #368806 02/26/10 10:54 AM
K
K
Bywarren, There are a number of guides on the island from well-connected sanpedrano families, 3 come to mind immediately. Wouldn't/Shouldn't they be the source of a move to amend/repeal?

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
bywarren #368810 02/26/10 11:01 AM
S
S
bywarren:

Unfortunately I could not get to town for the meeting... Were ANY clarifications made (example, what constitutes a boat being "equipped for fishing?") or is the new law going to be completely arbitrary in both interpretation/enforcement....

Anyone have a copy of (or link to) the law as it IS written/has been passed???

bywarren #368811 02/26/10 11:01 AM
S
S

Last edited by SFJeff; 02/26/10 12:05 PM. Reason: whoops, posted 2X
krehfish #368813 02/26/10 11:08 AM
All in attendance were against the law as written. As far as I am concerned, it is their goverment and the ball is in their court. My only concern is the outrage is mostly due to Belizeans being affected by the cost. Very little concern given to how it might effect the numbers of tourist wanting to fish and hire a guide.
My guess would be that provisions will be made to exempt Belizeans and still try to kill the preverbial "Goose".
Just my opinion. But I am unfortunatly very discouraged by the direction Belize is going.

Marty #368814 02/26/10 11:10 AM
SFJeff, from my view, the law remains as written and totally arbritrary as to enforcement.
I think the opening remark by the CMZ rep sums it up. He flipently said "if you think you need a license, you need a license".

Last edited by bywarren; 02/26/10 11:14 AM.
bywarren #368832 02/26/10 02:05 PM
What if you fish off your dock?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
I'll try and get them posted online shortly. They are supposed to be up on the Belize Gazette site but it was offline last time I checked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.