Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
C
Wow a very sad night on the island.... The price we aviators pay for the gift of flight is sometimes a very tragic one. R.I.P. to all aboard.

So very,very sad....thinking of the families left.

S
S
This Lori Reed from Changes In Latitudes.

I can't believe that Sir Barry, my neighbour, has left us so suddenly and tragically.

My thoughts are with Dixie, his family and of course all the friends and compatriots of one of Belize's finest citizens.

There will be a chasm deeper than the Blue Hole created by his passing.

Mi más sentido pesame

M
M
My thoughts and prayers are with you Dixie.......

M
M
AS if that really is a priority at this point.....honestly!

M
M
that last comment is in reference to the luau at the school, not my previous comment. sorry....

E
E
A terrible tragedy. I knew a little about Sir Barry from what I'd heard during my few trips to the island but of course don't know his entire history. I can see by the heartfelt condolences from those who did know him that he'll be missed.

My sympathies and prayers go out to all.

God Bless The Reef!
FYI - the luau is a huge priority for Lady Dixie. The school has been her baby (and Barry's) for over 15 years. The big Luau is something that the entire family discussed this evening - and we had all enjoyed talking about the night before.....

We heard the bad news right away here in Mexico too. Dixie, Kev, Chris, ...all of you family Bowen..., I feel so saddened by this. I will say a prayer for you all.

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
We begin this evening’s newscast with truly stunning news: bottling magnate Barry Bowen is dead. He was the pilot on his private plane that crashed on San Pedro around 5:30 this evening. Reports are that the 64 year old Bowen was flying to his home in San Pedro as he does every evening. He was along with at least three passengers – who perished. One of them was reportedly an employee at his Gallon Jug tourism enterprise. The plane crashed within range of the San Pedro Municipal Airport in a marshy area a fair distance south of the airstrip. Some reports say that Bowen missed the airstrip on his approach. At this point, no one knows what caused the crash. The plane at this time is flipped over on its back. Kainie Manuel from the San Pedro Sun was one of the first one the scene and just a few minutes ago she told us what she saw.

Kainie Manuel Reporting from San Pedro,
“The latest efforts are trying to remove what has confirmed to be five bodies from Barry Bowen’s private plane. From what we have gathered, from people close to family members, it has been said that Barry Bowen was piloting the airplane to the island. On board with him were the manager of Gallon Jug, one of his other business enterprises, the manager’s wife along with their two children, a three year old and a newborn. From what we have gathered, all five of them have perished in the plane crash that took place today, claiming the life of Sir Barry Bowen.”

Keith Swift,
“Can you describe the scene to us?”

Kainie Manuel Reporting from San Pedro,
“Well right now the rescue efforts are trying to take as much equipment and material they can from the crash site. Like I said it is nowhere near the residential area. It is behind what is the new building of Castillo Hardware, near to the lagoon in a marshy area. The plane is on its back and rescue efforts are trying to flip the plane over and remove the bodies from inside. But from what we see, the police and fire and traffic departments are all trying to control the scene. It is full of people, so many people that knew Barry Bowen running to the scene, be it co-workers, people that worked with him people, teachers at the Island Academy.”

The scale of the story is almost inestimable. Sir Barry’s importance and prominence as a businessman, developer, bottling magnate and Belizean cannot be overstated. He was one of Belize’s wealthiest men – second only to billionaire Michael Ashcroft. His company Bowen and Bowen Bottling Works owns Belikin Beer, Guinness Stout and Coca Cola, Fanta, Sprite and Crystal Water bottling operations. Simply put, if you are a Belizean, or if you have visited Belize, you consumed his products. He also diversified into shrimp production, tourism and electricity generation.

Barry Bowen was 64 years old. He is the father of five children; four sons and one daughter. Bowen and Bowen company was started by his father in the 1930s. Barry Bowen bought the company from his father in 1978. He has been flying for 40 years. The plane was a Cessna 272 with a turbine engine. Similar to the ones used by the small airlines.

Channel 7

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 324 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.