Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
garfish Offline OP
OP Offline
G
MARTY, I JUST RETURNED FROM OUR TRIP TO MATA CHICA ON AMBERGRIS AND TURNEFFE ISLAND LODGE. I HAVE THOUROUGHLY ENJOYED USING THIS BOARD OVER THE LAST MONTH OR SO. IT WAS BOTH A VALUABLE RESOURSE AND I FOUND THAT IT TRUELY ADDED TO THE PRE TRIP SUSPENCE AND ANTICIPATION THAT GOES WITH PLANNING A TRIP. I MET PEOPLE AT BOTH OF OUR DESTINATIONS THAT I HAD COMMUNICATED WITH VIA THIS BOARD PRIOR TO LEAVING. THAT WAS FUN TOO!! THE INFO AND HELP FROM THE NICE FOLKS ON THIS BOARD (WILLIE AND KAREN P. 2 THAT COME TO MIND) MADE IT SUCH THAT WHEN I LANDED AT SAN PEDRO VIA TROPIC AIR, I FELT LIKE I KIND OF KNEW THE TOWN AND SOME THINGS THAT I DID NOT WANT TO MISS. THAT WAS A GOOD FEELING AND MOST PROVED OUT TO BE EVERYTHING I HAD EXPECTED.
HERE IS A LITTLE RATINGS REPORT
1= EXCELLENT 2= VERY GOOD 3= FAIR AND
4= WOULD NOT DO AGAIN:

MATA CHICA THE RESORT = 1+++
NADIA AND THE ENTIRE STAFF WERE SUPER GRACIOUS AND SUPER ATTENTIVE. CONGRATULATIONS TO WAIT STAFF MEMBER KARIN WHO GOT ENGAGED AT DINNER ONE NITE WHILE WE WERE THERE. THE ACCOMADATIONS INDIVIDUAL "CASITAS" WERE IMPECABLE AND HAD MANY OF NADIA'S PERSONAL DECOR TOUCHES THROUGHOUT EACH OF THEM. LOVED THE LITTLE 2 FT. GARDEN THAT WRAPPED AROUND OUR 5 FOOT SHOWER. THE PLACE WREAKED OF ROMANCE...VERY NICE. THE DISTANCE TO TOWN IS REALLY NOT A "BIG PROBLEM" BUT DOES REQUIRE SOME PLANNING TO USE THE 3 TRIPS TO AND FROM SAN PEDRO PROVIDED FREE BY MATA CHICA. OTHERWISE FOR 2 PEOPLE TO GET INTO TOWN IT WAS $40 R\T. A LITTLE PRICEY IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO TO LUNCH AND MISS THE FREE BOAT YOUR LUNCH IS ALREADY COSTING $40 THEN YOU ADD YOUR FOOD. I THOUGHT THERE WAS ROOM FOR A BETTER PLAN HERE.

EATS:

"MAMBO"= 1
THE RESTAURANT AT MATA CHICA WAS EXCEPTIONAL. FROM THE FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST... GREAT COCONUT TOAST A MUST TRY, TO THE GOURMET TYPE DINNERS AND SUPER DESERTS. ALL I MIGHT ADD, SERVED TO US IN SHORTS, A TSHIRT AND WE WERE BAREFOOT. DO NOT MISS THE CHOCALATE DESERT. SORRY I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED...BUT WELL WORTH SAVING ROOM FOR. WINE LIST COULD BE BETTER, BUT ADEQUATE.

CAPRICORN = 1+
DINNER ONLY

THIS WAS THE BEST MEAL WE HAD. THE ATMOSPHERE WAS GREAT. THE SERVICE SUPER AND THE SPECIAL ATTENTION THAT THE OWNERS PAY TO EACH TABLE IS COMMENDABLE. "ANNIBEL" THE HOSTESS IS AN OWNER AND VERY ATTENTIVE TO THE INDIVIDUAL DINERS NEEDS. SHE IS PARTNERED BY HER HUSBAND WHO IS ALSO THE CHEF. A GREY HAIRED BEARDED MAN, SCURRYING THRU THE SEATED GUEST, DRESSED IN HIS SHORTS AND HAIR PULLED BACK WITH A BANDANA. TRUELLY A SITE. BUT RIGHT ON TOP OF THINGS IN THE KITCHEN.
OH YES THE FOOD!! THE STUFFED GROUPER IS TO DIE FOR. MY WIFE HAD THE SEAFOOD PLATTER. I SAMPLED SOME OF HER STONE CRABS AND THEY WERE EXQUISITE... THE NITE WE ATE THERE WE WERE THE LAST TO LEAVE AND "ANNIBEL" JOINED US AT OUR TABLE FOR A WINE WHILE WE WAITED FOR OUR BOAT TAXI....
WELL WORTH THE $40 R\T BOAT RIDE TO GET THERE. ( the taxi thing does still grind me )

SWEET BASILS= 1
GREAT WINE LIST!!! HAD A SEAFOOD PASTA DISH THAT WAS SPECTACULAR. MY WIFE HAD A SEAFOOD SALAD THAT SHE RAVED ABOUT TOO. NEAT LITTLE PLACE!!

LILY'S ON THE BEACH= 2
HAD 2 SALADS FOR A LATE LUNCH BOTH VERY GOOD 1 WAS A VERY TASTEY CERVECHE AND THE OTHER A SALAD TOPPED WITH ABOUT 14 FRESH WARM SHRIMP. GREAT SERVICE FROM THE WAITER WHO HAD LOTS OF STORIES AND CHARACTER!!

LIONS CLUB BARBEQUE= 2
GOOD OLD FASHON SOUTHERN B.B.Q.
FUN, CHEAP AND GOOD....GREAT ONE TO FEED A FAMILY....

MASSAGES
CONTACT LINDI WHO OWNS "LA DIOSA" SPA. SHE OPERATES HER BUSINESS OUT OF WHAT IS HER HOME TOO. NEAR VICTORIA HOUSE A BIG BLUE HOUSE TOWARDS TOWN ABOUT A MILE FROM V. HOUSE...SHE MAKES "CASITA" CALLS TO MATA CHICA FOR PRIVATE IN ROOM MASSAGES HIGHLY RECOMMEND..$60 U.S. BUT WELL WORTH IT...

BELIKIN= 1+
OH YEA THE BELIKIN WAS ALL THAT THE BOARD TALK BUILD UP GAVE IT TOO...
GREAT BEER.

ONE BARRELL RUM = 1
I FORGET WHO SAID TRY A ONE BARREL AND PINEAPPLE OVER ICE BUT THEY WERE RIGHT ON!! IT IS VERY TASTY AND REFRESHING... MAXED OUT ON ONE BARRELL RUM TO BRING HOME AT THE DUTY FREE...

WISH I COULD HAVE HAD TIME TO HEAR & SEE BAREFOOT SKINNY...MAYBE NEXT TIME!!

THIS BOARD IS A GREAT HELP AND LOTS OF FUN TO ALL WHO USE IT....HOPE THIS REPORT HELPS SOME TOO...

THANKS MARTY !!

GARFISH

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 04-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by garfish (edited 04-03-2001).]

W
W
Hey garfish, food is interesting but let's hear about the fishing!

Bill

G
garfish Offline OP
OP Offline
G
willie, truth be known i had to make a solomn promise to my better half, that while on ambergris i would not fish or dive. but i made up for it at turneffe island lodge. those bonefish are quite skiddish and tougher to catch than i thought. i saw upwards of 500 bones on some days. however, on my best day i only caught 3. got far fewer shots at the even tougher to locate and catch "permit". no shots at the big tarpon but i gave them my best shot too...fishing one predawn morn and one late nite evening till 10:30pm or so...
great trip thanks for your input...

W
W
GARFISH what did you think of turneffe. I considered going there but it seemmed too costly and remote. How were the guides?

G
garfish Offline OP
OP Offline
G
willie,
it depends how active you want to be. as far as costs there are several different packages available at various price ranges. keep in mind that the prices quoted are all inclusive...includes family style breakfasts lunches and dinners. if you purchace a fishing package you can fish for approximately 8 hours out of each day. i found that to be enough sun and wind for me. my guide was eddie g. and he is a 3rd genreation Belizian and really knows the art of teaching fly fishing, the fish and the waters out there. my wife did 16 dives in 6 days. i had a fish \ dive combo package and in addition to fishing i dove 10 dives...that's alot of diving....we both felt we got our monies worth ...i know that turneffe island resort does have a website, but off hand i do not have it...

G
garfish Offline OP
OP Offline
G
hey willyg.. it just dawned on me my guides names was eddie g, wonder if you guys might be related or something???? hee hee hee !!! maybe you can get the family plan discount???

D
D
Hey garfish.... what was the beach like at Turneffe as far as for swimming?? thanks....

I know I know guys.. not ANOTHER beach question!!!! lol....

G
garfish Offline OP
OP Offline
G
we found the beach sand at turneffe lodge to be very clean, fine white sand and well maintained. it was raked daily. the swimming was much the same as that at the mata chica....

D
D
thank you thank you garfish!!!!!

glad you like the board, garfish! Its quite a living breathing object wrought from betwixt the melding point of humans and electrons!

pardon me, just back from 2 weeks in riviera. nice, cannes, monica, st. tropez, seborga, paris, rome.

strange thing to fly west at the same speed of the earth. and see the last 30 minutes of a sunset last for 10 hours. we got on the plane in paris at 30 mintes til sunset, and that sunset lasted 12 of the 13 hours til we landed at Los Angeles. bizarre. great overhead views of england, greenland and iceland, canada, then slide right down the rockies from montana or so through utah to LAX.

no sleep for 56+ hours.

kinda batty...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.