Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
W
OP Offline
W
When we left Ambergris Caye via the water taxi to Chetumal, we were very hungover after drinking lots of overpriced Belikin and cheap local coconut rum. We had planned to travel up to Cancun for a flight back to the US, but decided to spend a couple of days in Chetumal. Never thought I would have ever considered Mexico a civilised country, however, compared to San Pedro and Ambergris Caye, its in another world.

As for costs, the top hotels are around $60 US a night, you can have a fantastic meal at the best restaurant in the area, Bariloche, where the food is fantastic and the prices make you wonder, what you have been thinking about in Belize. And you can drink wine at NORMAL prices and you have a choice of several different beers.

The internet works and there is no block on Skype.

The local Sams Club seems to have been put in Chetumal just for local Belizians, who seem to make up 90% of all the customers there. A bottle of Bacardi Rum is $8.00 US, a case of Beer from $10.00 and Red Wine from $2.50 a bottle. And this place is 8 miles from Belize.

Local Belizians know the score, but most of the Americans, Canadians and Brits are living in some kind of strange trip-like world, where they all of a sudden think that the "Sausage Factory" and the late Barry Bowen's "Belinkin Beer" are giving them all they need. Wake up people, you are being screwed "Big Time". Belize is a 3rd world country with 1st world prices and a complete lack of choice.

A few older guys are living in Belize because they can get a young local girl, even if they are fat, over-weight and in their late 50/60's.

Least favorite places, The Road Kill Bar(what an absolute dive) and Pedro's Hotel (good web site, you certainly had us fooled, you arrogant sod, Peter).

Nice place, shame about all the foreigners living and taking over your lovely island and country.

So you're moving to Chetumal then?

Originally Posted by Winston1984
When we left Ambergris Caye via the water taxi to Chetumal, we were very hungover after drinking lots of overpriced Belikin and cheap local coconut rum. We had planned to travel up to Cancun for a flight back to the US, but decided to spend a couple of days in Chetumal. Never thought I would have ever considered Mexico a civilised country, however, compared to San Pedro and Ambergris Caye, its in another world.

As for costs, the top hotels are around $60 US a night, you can have a fantastic meal at the best restaurant in the area, Bariloche, where the food is fantastic and the prices make you wonder, what you have been thinking about in Belize. And you can drink wine at NORMAL prices and you have a choice of several different beers.

The internet works and there is no block on Skype.

The local Sams Club seems to have been put in Chetumal just for local Belizians, who seem to make up 90% of all the customers there. A bottle of Bacardi Rum is $8.00 US, a case of Beer from $10.00 and Red Wine from $2.50 a bottle. And this place is 8 miles from Belize.

Local Belizians know the score, but most of the Americans, Canadians and Brits are living in some kind of strange trip-like world, where they all of a sudden think that the "Sausage Factory" and the late Barry Bowen's "Belinkin Beer" are giving them all they need. Wake up people, you are being screwed "Big Time". Belize is a 3rd world country with 1st world prices and a complete lack of choice.

A few older guys are living in Belize because they can get a young local girl, even if they are fat, over-weight and in their late 50/60's.

Least favorite places, The Road Kill Bar(what an absolute dive) and Pedro's Hotel (good web site, you certainly had us fooled, you arrogant sod, Peter).

Nice place, shame about all the foreigners living and taking over your lovely island and country.

Your comparing apples to oranges theres no way you can compare Chetumal to Ambergris Caye other than prices.

You have a point as far as the limitation on choices of beer but as far as rum I can buy a bottle of local rum cheaper than your $8 bottle of Bacardi and Belize rum in particular dark caribbean is way better than Bacardi in my opinion.

Chetumal is no where near as picturesque as Ambergris its a big smoggy ugly city for petes sake, its also not a tourist destination and your comparison actually stinks of another problem you may of had while on the island.

As for Pedro being an arrogant sod Ok you got us on that one grin LOL

Ambergris certainly is not the cheapest place in central america but it is one of the best places.

Just checked your past posts and you left the island in january did it take you all that time to think this post up ??? I thought you just left a few days ago.

Gaz

C
C
Dang Winston - I guess you didn't enjoy your trip then! The thing about Belize is that it is all those things you say to a point, but it is also a lot of very great things as well. It certainly is a unique place that simply doesn't grab everyone.

I don't know who his comments hurt more, Pedro or me. And, I wish I was only in my late 50's. smirk

C
C
you can't compare Mexico to Belize. I realize that there are monopolies in Belize that, IMHO, hurt the country, but it is an apples to oranges comparison. Mexico is a HUGE country, with a GDP that is 13th out of 180 on the IMF and World Bank charts, ranking just behind Canada and few down from the US. Their GDP is 1.473 trillion whereas Belize is only 2.5 billion. Mexico's infrastructure because they have a large population, many of which are middle-class to wealthy, to draw a good tax base from. Mexico enjoys many natural resources, therefore having a good trade economy. Belize on the other hand has a population of only approx. 280,000 in the WHOLE COUNTRY, few commodity resources, and little trading power.
People love Belize for other things, not cheapness. To love Belize like many of us do, you overlook the pricey things, satisfying yourself with local fare and simple pleasures. We love the unspoiled (so far), natural environment, and the lack of concrete and "Disney-like" attractions.
I like Mexico too, and vacation there on occasion, but I love Belize, own property there, and will one day live there permenantly. I could never see doing that in Mexico with their complex legal system and my lack of Spanish.

Last edited by catdance62; 03/07/10 08:39 AM.
Winston, I would suggest you take your next vacation to Chetumal. Go see the water at the Naval Base there, and see if you can find a spot to park on the beach and eat your lunch.

Thankfully, AC is not for everyone, hence, "please tell people not to tell people about Ambergris Caye".

It's too bad that all of your posts on this board lean toward the negative. Most of us give up a lot of things to live here, and those that aren't willing to do that, go back to where they came from. Like everything else in life, it's a trade off to be here.

I hope you enjoy your next vacation more than you seemed to enjoy this one.

Change your Latitude
This guy sounds like some other guys who used to post under various names. Bottom line, it seems like more people like to go to AC than those who don't like it.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Originally Posted by Winston1984

Here we go again,,, another ignorant a**hole. Comes to AC for a few days and thinks he has it all figured out. For your information, the reason we have limited choices for food and beer is that the government will not allow free enterprise and restricts the importation of certain items. We (who live here) are not stupid, we do know about a country north of us called Mexico, and also the town of Chetumal, Which was built on Belize money, it was a little village before Belizeans started going there for shopping.

Things are going to change, we will have more choice of items to buy, and we will become part of a new organization of Central American and Caribbean countries, which will hopefully allow free trade between the member countries. It will be a lot better than it is now. Also, in case you did not realize it AC is an island and everything has to be barged in raising the cost of items brought here.

Hopefully this will be soon, and AC will more affordable and then more tourist will visit the island, with the exception of one, Winston1984. Bon voyage and good riddance

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
sure gripes about everything. fun guy.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.