Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Just reading the news makes me weary to go on vacation in Mexico. Tourist destinations are not being spared of the new murdering spree amongst drug cartels. Some reports talk about almost a hundred casualties over the last weekend alone:

Drug Violence Hits Mexico at Spring Break Time
Just as Mexico begins to welcome Spring Break visitors, more violence is threatening tourism to the region. As The Times reported yesterday, nearly 50 people were killed nationwide in drug-gang violence over the weekend, including attacks in Acapulco as American college students began arriving for spring break. New York Times

Mexican president heads to site of slayings

Mexico's president was headed to Ciudad Juárez today to show resolve in his war on drug traffickers after attackers gunned down three people linked to the U.S. Consulate. USA TODAY

Violent attacks blight Mexico's Acapulco resort
Thirteen people have been killed in an outbreak of drug-related violence in the southern Mexican beach resort of Acapulco. Five of the dead were police officers whose patrol was machine gunned. Acapulco is one of Mexico's biggest tourist resorts, but in recent years it has been the scene of bloody turf wars between rival drug cartels. BBC News

Beheaded Mexicans dumped in tourist spot
A total of 13 people have been killed in an outbreak of drug-related violence in the Mexican beach resort of Acapulco. Five of the dead were police officers and another four were found beheaded. Acapulco is one of Mexico's best known holiday resorts, attracting thousands of tourists from Europe and North America. ABC News

Live and let live
What does any of this have to do with Spring Break or Tourism,.......not one tourist has been the target of the cartel violence.....this is an irresponsible post ......Go Pick Daisies!

B
B
When they are cutting off the police officers heads in a tourist town, I would like to know this information if I were traveling there.

S
S
Originally Posted by Relaxed
What does any of this have to do with Spring Break or Tourism,.......not one tourist has been the target of the cartel violence.....this is an irresponsible post ......Go Pick Daisies!

Many people on here are not tourists. Some live in Mexico. Some do business there. Some have family there.
You claim to be resident in Xcalak, Mexico...so you should understand.

S
S
A couple of Belizean friends of mine just came back from vacationing in that area so it is relevant to some people around here.

The news might also encourage people to travel a bit further south to Belize instead of taking Spring Break in Mexico, particularly Acapulco.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
P
That's probably why Relaxed isn't.

Fear Mongering..............Pathetic

L
L
Don't think I would be comfortable with my college aged grandchildren doing spring break there this year. Being in the wrong place could be a potential disaster and spring breakers have been known to be less than "vigilant".

R.B. Mernitz
L
L
Actually, the border towns are the places to really stay away from, or so they are saying here in California. I agree with Lovey and thurston, although thousands of travelers go to Mexico with no incident. I have traveled all over Mexico and Quintana Roo and never felt any threat, but then again, I am not a spring break college kid who may inadvertently put myself in harm's way or areas where drugs are prevalent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.