Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by Phil
Originally Posted by iluvbelize
phil i am not sure if you actually require an answer from me or if you are entertaining yourself with your spiel. no matter, i believe almost everything is negotiable. not everything, but certainly almost everything.

One mans spiel is anothers food for thought. I find the mindset interesting that while at home one haggles a price almost never, yet while abroad feels it is possible on almost everything.

Phil I look at negotiating as simply customizing the commercial transaction. As a successful business woman I endeavor to make fair and reasonable offers and accept same from others - it is not haggling but rather, again, a method of customizing the deal to ensure a win-win for both parties. At home or anywhere else in the world. To each his own; but I can't imagine choosing to let a rental asset sit empty or go unutilized in lieu of discounting what may be considered a 'below market price'. The market price is whatever someone will pay for that commodity or service at that moment.

P
P
Originally Posted by iluvbelize
To each his own;

OK

N
N
I have always 'negotiated' a price for condo/apt. rentals. I do the same when renting a cottage at home or a hotel room (using pricleine etc. or watching for a discount)even flat rate taxi fares. I rarely pay asking price. Somethings are negotiable some are not. When I want to rent a place I decide hown much it is worth to me, offer that price and then leave it up to the renter to accept or reject. If he rejects then I find another place. What's the big deal? I assumed everyone did this.

Phil, even world-wide the Hilton, Marriott and Starwood are offering discounts right now and at other certain times. If the hotel is almost full on a weeknight, then you'll probably have to pay full rack rate, however, if the hotel is a quarter to half-empty, then you can get a discounted rate and there are discounted rates and specials being offered almost every weekend. They've figured out that you've got to have "*sses in the seats* or another way *bums in the beds* to make the properties produce revenue.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

R
ron Offline
R
Sometimes its better to leave a place vacant that have more use. I depend solely on rain for water. To rent my house for less that I feel is fair means I might not have water or someone who would pay a fair price won't be able to rent cause I have no water. Wear and Tear is something every tenant causes regardless of how good a tenant they are. Set a far price and everyone gets the same Change your price and nobody gets dealt with the same. We all have our own way that works for use so.............

I see your point Ron.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

What an owner chooses to do with his/her property is their own business. However, if you are renting for gain then I think you must treat days that a property was available for rent and not rented as at least an opportunity cost. Every day a rental property is not rented means that a commodity has perished - in other words you can never go back capture those rents in the future. The loss is permanent.

How much wear and tear on a property is from occupancy and how much is from non-use? I do believe that the furnishings continue to depreciate and wear (through aging if nothing else) whether the unit is rented or not.

The water and fairness issues are social concerns and not commercial, at least in my view. I personally will not rent for too low a level because it tends to brand the property as less valuable and less capable of being rented at a good price in the future. This again is a personal decision and is often driven by cash flow considerations and depending on your personal situation one dollar of additional income will be more important for some than others though the single dollar is nominally worth the same.

Captain One Iron
R
ron Offline
R
Not so sure that my water is a social concern. Without water my house would not be rentable. Also Since the original poster indicated they are known between themselves as hard on a property not sure it is an opportunity lost. Necessity also has a big say perhaps not even directly related to the property itself. I think we've drifted slightly off the thread. Sorry

N
N
I think that in a capitalistic society the rental fee will be determined by what the market will bear. If the renter ignores that he will eventually be out of business.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by ron
Not so sure that my water is a social concern. Without water my house would not be rentable. Also Since the original poster indicated they are known between themselves as hard on a property not sure it is an opportunity lost. Necessity also has a big say perhaps not even directly related to the property itself. I think we've drifted slightly off the thread. Sorry

Really? Where did I say that? Ask the owners of the Blue Dolphin how we treated their property. Ask the care takers Norma and Urbano how we were. Heck, one of the couples from our group paid out of his own pocket to send the caretakers a welder from the states after our visit. We are a group of professionals who enjoy our time together.

If you are going to speak for me, please do not put words in my mouth. I specifically said that we were not destructive. As a matter of fact, we left the property in better shape then it was in when we arrived. You simply assume that by saying we were wild that we are some college kids who have no concern for other people's property. That is far from the truth.

Please let me know where your property is located so I can be sure that no one I know gives you a dime or uses your ever so precious water. grin

I don't know but maybe potential AC visitors will read this thread and think twice about visiting. That would be a shame because the people on the island are certainly not this confrontational or critical of their guests.

Carry on.

Chris

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.