Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
V
Can we clarify here, because I am still getting mixed feedback as I continue my research but it sounds like Krysanne is in the same position we are...it seems the satellite could be the way to go once you get over the initial set-up costs, can be much faster than 1mb and the monthly cost is lower than BTL. Plus with a good-sized dish the weather is not as much of a factor in terms of reliability I hear. But....does satellite not have more of a delay when using Skype, Vonage etc. on the long distance calls? My satellite contact person says it does not, maybe one second at most, if it's hooked up properly. But of course, everyone you talk to has a different story/experience. I have searched extensively through the message boards, and I'm still not clear on which way to go.

We want to use Vonage or MagicJack or Skype, so will try all of them most likely to see what works best. Though I have to say I found that Skype costs from Belize are comparable to BTL and Smartphone for long distance if you take advantage of their double up and triple up promotions every month. Though my new Smart phone has lousy reception so I'm not impressed so far.

P
P
Cant imagine they're comparable costs. Skype is US$0.02 cents a minute. I have the 500k btl and it's fine for my needs. Web browsing is fast. I stream Audio, listen to iPlayer and watch you tube clips - you generally have to let the video download a few minutes ahead of you watching though. You get used to it fast and don't have to worry about Sat dishes the space they take up, cost etc. I would imagine the majority of Sat Dishes owners are for specific high bandwidth needs or where there is no broadband btl. You need a lot of years of service to make up the differernce on in the savings between the monthly fees to pay the cost of the Sat dish installation delivery duty etc.

V
V
Skype has all different rates abroad on their site, but looks like from Belize it is .22 cents and up (?) This was claimed on one of the message boards recently too but I do see on Skype there is also .021 Global rate as an alternative, so it's a bit confusing then to me.

P
P
Used it yesterday and looked at the rate at .021 cents unless I misread it. I was in Bz but "virtually" in the US at the time.

When I used Skype to call UK mobile phones the rate was around 25cent US per minute.

V
V
Phil, do you find that sending emails with attachments take a long time? I find that's where I noticed the slow bandwidth most recently but it could be I didn't have a clear connection to the router (I was borrowing someone else's).

V
V
Right, so how does it go from .021 Globally on their site (which Phil gets) to .25c US when Amanda calls the UK?

P
P
I sent some huge attachments the other day - +/- 80M Zipped files and it only took a minute or so. A normal attachment is almost instant.

V
V
Really, wow. So sending five attachments in one email, each being approximately equal to 300-500 K each, to 100+ people should be pretty instant?

L
Lauraf Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The rate is .021 for calling landlines and .25 for calling a mobile phone in most European countries.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.