Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#371719 03/27/10 11:19 AM
terrij Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone have any information in regards to how the south end fared during past hurricanes?

Last time in SP..a woman told me to make sure when I build...to sink the piers 20 feet deep.....because otherwise solid concrete stuctures were ripped up by the piers last hurricane.????

Certainly hope not.....

P
P
Not sure too many places on the Caye have 20 feet of depth before bedrock. Piles on larger buildings should go to bedrock. There was a concrete house down South that after Keith tipped by by 45 degrees or so as it was on pads that had the sand washed out from beneath them on one side.

D
D
You need to sink your piers to 'refusal depth" which is from about 12 to 29 feet here. They won't drive deeper than that. There is only a little dif between "Bedrock" and tightly packed sand down there.Most of the load will be carried on the sides of the pier, though intuition doesn't suggest that.Imagine pounding a big nail through a board and balancing the weight on that. Since the nail sticks out the bottom it carries no load, but the nail is in solid anyway.

Last edited by Dane; 03/27/10 12:36 PM.
Have a great picture of that "Hurricane House".....should see if I can find it.

Change your Latitude
I saw the house Phil is referring to , its true.
That house and many like it where not blown down but the ground/sand below them was washed away.
Seeing the South tip after the storm changed my thoughts about building. Getting blown away isn't the problem its the island disappearing below you.
Bedrock- ha one of the biggest lies a developer/Builder will tell you is 'Were going down to bedrock'.
Best to build behind some mangroves if you really want protection.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I posted the photo in the Photograph section because I still have not figured out how to put pictures into regular threads.....technologically challenged!!!

Change your Latitude
B
B
make no mistake bedrock is everywhere, reports are obtained
quikly from sp town hall,true enough dont build on pads, as it is temperary.
SP is open for busi..so for info on building which is a big expence,use town hall as your starting point as there is alot of twisted truths from those who dont want to see development but
it is happening reguardless with new bridge to mexico and roads
south from there,GREAT investment even for those who dont like it.
So pick your info carefully on here as it can be a good site but there is plenty of bs passed around, you,ll figure it out soon enough
(like the blog above this)dont cloud yourself with it and move forward,,,good luck

Here you go Shuffles.....

[Linked Image]

I have a couple too, somewhere, from a sightly different perspective that enhances the angles and taken sometime apart. Prints, not digi as I was shooting film back then and too damned lazy to scan.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Thank you!!!

Change your Latitude
billybob said: "(like the blog above this)"

What "blog" is that you are talking about billybob?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.