Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#372077 03/31/10 02:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Has anyone had experience bringing bikes down to Belize? Wondering if we should just buy some or bring ours. Also, is there a place to buy baby stuff (crib/stroller, etc) for our baby in SP or Belize city?

R
ron Offline
R
I shipped a beach bike down about 6 months ago no big deal. The bike I shipped was all aluminum with stainless steel wheels. The bke I had before that I bought in Belize and was quite rusty after 6 months. The new one has no rust and still looks good, although I use it less than my old bike. Had the bike shipped directly from a bike shop in CA to my shipping agent in Medley, Fl they but it on a boat and then I paid a customs broker in Belize City to clear customs for me and put on a barge to Caye Caulker. Probably took a month from when I ordered the bike to when it got to Caye Caulker.

ron #372099 03/31/10 04:52 PM
P
P
How much did you have to pay for freight? And in taxes?

R
ron Offline
R
Freight from CA to medley wasn't so much, UPS ground. The bike was part of a larger shipment so I extract it from the total, but the total for that shipment was only a couple of hundred dollars. The cost for the bike itself would probably be less that $50us. Since the bike was in with a mixed bunch of stuff, I don't know the custom duties for the bike alone. Any customs broker can tell you want the duties are, then add the GST and you have it. I plan on having the bike for a number of years. The bike I bought in Belize was good for 6 months at $75US. Figure it was worth it.

ron #372444 04/04/10 04:20 PM
I can get two-plus years use out of a a $250 Bz bike from Castillo's hardware in San Pedro. It looks pretty funky after year #1, but who cares.
Fat tires, foot brakes, basket, stainless steel spokes.
Rinse of the salt every few days.

P
P
I bought my current "2008" bike halfway through 2007, and remarkably I both have it and still ride it. The "stainless steel" basket I bought initially disintegrated after a few months, but its replacement is still going strong. I've had a couple of new chains and various new bearings, but although I oil the chain and bearings every couple of weeks I have never washed it. It looks disgusting, all part of my scheme to hang onto it, but it works well. Mind you, the oil got into the brake and now there's nothing between no friction and total lock-up. I do keep an eye on the steerer tube (which links the handlebars with the front forks) as I've heard of several rusting through and snapping, dumping the riders on the road in front of the bike.

E
E
Oh, Wow

Ernie B #372566 04/05/10 10:03 PM
C
C
Our bikes all 5 of them cost us $125 each U.S five years ago and they are as good as new..bought on Caye Caulker...you dont need bikes here with gears or wires,,they just rust out,,,no hills to climb anyway...bring your baby bike seat and buy the bike here.dont buy them in San Pedro as the town is very expensive..allover the board San Pedro is way high on everything,,,get your bikes on Caye Caulker or in the City....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 186 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.